Good Warm-Down

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AndrewWK, Oct 3, 2004.

1. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Marching band is KILLING my chops from heavy blowing. We have just larned the last 30 sec of the closer and it is nothing but high c's and assorted rythmes. I have tried everyting that i know....
    1. playing low g for 125 min.
    2."horse sounding exercies"(lip buzz...do not know the correct name)
    3. playing soft.
    4. trombone mp buzzing

Is there anything that i can do to save my chops? And how can I tell if I have pulled a chop muscle(I have heard this can happen), this chop problem has occured through-out the week and hs not gotten better. My lips are so stiff i can not get a decint sound on any mp.

Thanks for any advice,
    AndrewWK

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Sounds like you've over done it - my best advice would be to take a day off, and next time don't push yourself too hard!

Incidentally - low g for 125 minutes?! Sounds a bit... long.

3. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    I meant 15 minutes.

The problem is that since we just got the closer my band director wants us(the two of us on high c's) to play so he can feel how it is going to sound. What killed my chop(KILLED, K-I-L-L-E-D) was the tree hour practice we had on friday to prepare for comp this saturday.

Thanks for the advice i thiink i will take the next 1-2 day off,
    AndrewWk

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I normally don't like to take more than 1 day off at a time - I'd be interested to hear some more experienced people's opinions on 'rest days'...

Make sure when you're playing 'high' notes when you're tired that you don't smack the mouthpiece into your face - I find it's often when I'm tired that pressure hurts me the most.

Good luck for the competition!

5. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Well my chops were hurting at the beginning of the week so each day i pressed more and more.
    Thanks for the advice,
    AndrewWk