Good Warm up and Cool down Exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wezley, Nov 1, 2011.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    One of my trumpet teachers loves the Heimat tone. He used that to justify Renold Schilke starting on High C, and him doing the same. I like middle E personally, then working my way down with the Stamp workouts. I "cool down" on the lower ones, just to make sure I don't have any "funk" so I don't get odd muscles forming. I do agree with Rowuk that they are not rejuvenating or any thing such as that but sometimes it is relaxing to knock out a couple of low G's, like he said, as to relax our mind.

But I can say that for me, not warming down and making sure I ended with the right muscle memory caused me to shift over to the right side of my mouth, over playing is also another cause. But don't do something just because you saw it on TM, do what works for you.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Warming up for me consists of blowing warm air quietly through the horn to bring it up to operating temperature, fixing the pitch of the first note to play in my head, a good breath and being ready to come in on the downbeat.

I am infuriated by players aimlessly blowing especially on stage prior to a gig.

Re warming down, after playing, just put the horn away and relax.

Regards, Stuart.

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Micheal Sachs' book "Daily Fundamentals for the Trumpet" includes a section on Warm-Down Exercises (page 38) that also includes pedals. I highly recommend this book.

I did try a warming down with a pedal exercise. But, pedals if done correctly also require total embouchure control (i.e., they are not just like flapping lips into the mouthpiece). So, I found that if my chops were tired from practicing or playing, they were too tired to perform pedals properly. I just put down the horn like Rowuk and Wilmer suggest. I recently purchased the DVD by John Thomas who talked about this issue. In short, if playing fatigued the chops, more playing (a warm-down) is not going to help. Just put the horn down. Maybe the lesson is I am not supposed to practice to the point that I can’t control my embouchure to perform pedals.

At present, I consider my warm-up “like” a very delayed warm down. That is, I take Don Johnson’s approach (page 102). I have a preliminary warm-up with pedals to help relax the chops from any residual stiffness from the previous’ days playing.

BrotherBACH

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There is no cool down excercise that will rejuvenate your lips. I am a doctor, I know these kinda things.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay....I forgot to mention I don't try to pull the pedel C into tune ..... I let it stay flat what ever note that is Bb /A?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I use Walter Moeck's warm-up routine. It's thorough AND it's cheap (@ $3).:thumbsup:

Cool down, swab the leadpipe and tuning slide then put the horn away.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And it will warm up Micheal Sachs' wallet.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Even cheeper is not buying anybodys' books and just do it! [You don't even need to buy a pair of Nike's to just do it either]. This is based on muscle physiology. Work your muscles wisely and the blood will flow into the fiber. This is acomplished by sluring, pedal tones, scales, long tones... Just DO IT!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm. :think::think: Didn't "somebody" just post, "You get what you pay for"? Something about "free" buzzing I think. ROFLROFLROFL

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I do find it interesting that this is a point of diference between such fine players .... wow