goodbye, eBay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by screamingmorris, Aug 17, 2008.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Sorry to hear about that. I stopped using ebay a year or two ago. eBay Fees, scamming, ridiculous shipping fees, phishing,

Just not worth it to me anymore. Early on good deals could be had. I don't see them anymore.

2. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    Aww, that sucks man.

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I too gave up on Ebay. My story is that I bid on and won an Exacta 35mm camera that was claimed by the seller to be "pristine". When I received it, it was just a bag of parts. There were a bunch of parts that were missing, even. I contacted the seller down in Fla. and complained. She laughed at me and said that my money order was already spent. She then contacted Ebay and claimed that I had promised to pay for the camera after a 3 day inspection and hadn't paid her. EBay dropped me. I came to realise that this actually did me a favor. I no longer can or will try to buy from any Ebay seller. It does save me not only money, but also frustration.

OLDLOU>>

4. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I still buy on Ebay, but not as often as I used to. I do more selling there.
    But that is getting more troublesome all the time. I once sold an alto sax. The bidder emailed me after he received it that his tech said the main body tube was bent. I played this horn and replaced some pads prior to listing it, and I knew that wasn't so. I asked him to take it to another tech and get a second opinion. 2nd tech confirmed that all was O.K., that one of the keys was a little out of alignment, but he bent it back into shape quickly and didn't even charge the guy. Probably occured during shipping. Anyways, damage can occur during shipping, even when heavily packed. Unfortunately, there are sellers out there that rely on this fact, and exploit it to their benefit like yours clearly did. I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, but I don't think leaving Ebay is necessary. Surrendering the site to the less ethical people of the world is something I don't want to do. Hang in there, just be more conservative in who you buy from.

5. dwindham

dwindham Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2006
    I've personally had better luck with craigslist.

My last 3 horns were craigslist deals. The one that was remote didn't fully disclose some items that needed repair but the two local horns I feel like I got some good deals.

You have to be quick and jump on the good ones. At least here in my area ya do.

6. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I too just about bought a trumpet from ebay, which seemed good. But then I was convinced otherwise by a friend (which was good because I got a brand new horn instead).
    You can never be sure about ebay. Of course, there will always be people who make an honest mistake, but this story is ridiculous.
    Long story short, never put full faith in ebay, no matter what.

7. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    I don't know; maybe I've just been exceptionally lucky, but my positive Ebay experiences have far outnumbered my negative ones. I've been buying and selling since 1998, and I can think of only one unpleasant, near-fraudulent experience and a couple of other disappointing experiences with poorly packed items--and this is with more than 240 transactions. But overall, I still rely on Ebay as a resource to find all sorts of trumpet-related items--not to mention horns themselves.

And, with all due respect, Morris, to obtain a Conn 22B Victor in any kind of playable or restorable shape for $100 would be considered a very good deal by many people. Did you get an estimate from a tech on what it might cost to have the dents and creases pulled from the horn? I would bet that for under $100, you could have had that horn looking and playing pretty close to 95%. Conn 22B Victors often command $500 and up on the used market. For $100, I think you may have been expecting a bit too much from that seller.

With Ebay, I've taken to asking lots of questions and asking for additional photos before I bid. It's clear that your seller was not a horn player; ironically, I've often found some of the best deals in horns on Ebay coming from folks who have never held a trumpet in their life but just happened to pick up a lonely-looking horn cheap at an estate sale, and stick it up on Ebay for a $9.99 opening bid. If you do your homework as to value and ask plenty of questions and get as many photos as possible, you're at least making an informed bid.

I'll continue to rely on Ebay for my horn-seeking, but I'll also continue to remain careful and vigilant whenever I do so.

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Good advice, Bonasa! I think Morris gave up too soon without considering the repair alternative. That bell wrinkle didn't look that bad. I straightened out one pretty well with the horn over my knee and a rubber mallet, carefully, of course.:-) The seller's brouhaha is another matter.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've bought and sold quite a few items on eBay and haven't had any major problems yet. I must be lucky....

My last horn buy on eBay was one that Morris previously bought on eBay and posted a playing impression of, but didn't keep it because of some bad dents in the bell tail and sluggish valves. His loss was my gain, because I have a great local shop that took most of the dents out without removing the original lacquer. After a thorough cleaning and oiling, the valves are fine, too. It's a sweet little Conn 76A that's a surprisingly good horn. Unless I'm buying a supposedly pristine horn, I expect to dump $50 to $75 into it for minor fix-ups, and bid accordingly.

1969 Conn 76A
    [​IMG]

10. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Dumb question....where's the tuning slide on this thing?

bigtiny