goodbye, eBay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by screamingmorris, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Weird wrap, isn't it? The tuning slide is in the bell tubing on the other side. It's the slide with the water key you can barely see behind the 3rd valve slide. Here's a pic of the other side of the horn. It's the same design the Olds Recording cornet uses.

[​IMG]

2. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    I just bought my first horn from Craigslist...can't wait til it gets here!
    Should arrive Monday, it's a Yamaha Shew horn- I think I got a good deal. Let ya know. :cool:
    -Andrew

3. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Well, I fear saying that I've been satisfied with my foray into the world of e-bay, since I've got a couple horns coming which could still dissapoint. It has been sobering to read about the dissapointments though. I've cruised the Seattle Craig's List looking for horns lately, and I have to say a few of the ads have given me a creepy feeling. There are listings from people who don't seem to know anything about trumpets, yet they have bunches of them to sell. Makes me wonder if they're hot horns... and I don't mean good playing! :-(

4. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    Andrew,

I'll be curious to hear how you make out. I've bought and sold a few horns on Craigslist, but always in a local deal. I don't think I could work up the courage to do a sight-unseen deal via Craigslist. I'm continuously bombarded by out-of-town scammers on Craigslist, and, given that it lacks even the minimal policing and protections of Ebay, I'm still wary of anything other than a face-to-face deal. Let us know how the Shew fits...

5. swampy1

swampy1 New Friend

Aug 29, 2008
    Mostly I have had good experience on ebay, but its like just about anything else you buy these days... "you pays the money and you takes yer chances". People just arent as honest and as they used to be. Anyway, I recently bid on a Schmidt 37S and didnt meet the reserve. Seller contacted me and sold at my bid price. No body knows much about these horns and the two people that did gave favorable reviews. It was described as near mint and it has a couple dings in it I wouldnt say it was mint, but I'm not complaining, its minor stuff. Have any of you played these? Its great! let me know your opinions even if they differ from mine.

6. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Morris,
    I've been really lucky with ebay, but I have gotten burned a few times. The most recent time actually involved a Conn, too. I looked at your listing and I saw the crease in the bell. It could be hard to miss, I agree. Be sure to ask explicit questions. That way you have the seller, in writing, admitting to the condition of the horn, should recourse be needed.
    If I were you I'd hold onto the horn, get it fixed, and come out with a good Victor for a still-low price.

Best of Luck in the future

Cheers

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I think if you look way back in the posts you will see Morris sent the horn back to the seller, got a favorable complaint resolution from Ebay management got most of his monetary expense back , but the seller got a better horn due to Morris' maintenance work on it. , but alot of grief thru the whole thing, :-( which would be worse for me too!

8. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Normally I wouldn't but this seemed like too good a deal to pass up. I've been looking for a pro horn for quite a while...as a student, my budget is limited. Kept looking for a break on ebay- too expensive. No local trumpets on Craigslist, so I typed it in Google. Maybe
    a store had something used. Well, this popped up and I emailed him. We exchanged phone #s and we talked (really nice older guy!). He sent me pics and agreed on a price for shipping. He sounded honest so I'm hoping for the best. Let ya know!
    -Andrew

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I've had good luck on Craig's list, even sent a lady extra $40.00 to pay for shipping, got a mint Olds recording trumpet for $275.00. Also, I bought this horn off Craig's list, drove 150 miles with a wad of cash, met at a Starbucks and did the deal! (1936 Olds Super Recording)

[​IMG]

I think MOST people are honest, but you need to deal with the possibility that you MAY run into a low low on occasion.

10. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    wow
    that towel looks really soft