goodbye, eBay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by screamingmorris, Aug 17, 2008.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    :-)

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Beautiful trumpet, A.N.A. Mendez. You should open an Olds museum....;-)

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Thank you! I love them all!

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    The seller is officially contesting eBay's decision,
    making the whole thing still up in the air,
    so I could still lose all my money again.

The selller claims that when I polished off the brown and red corrosion from the finish,
    installed 2 spit valve corks where there were none before,
    cleaned the crud out of the inside of the lead pipe,
    un-freezed all the slides and then Vasolined them,
    oiled the valves,
    cleaned the outside of the case and hot-glued down the loose leather trim,
    I RUINED the "antique value" of the trumpet....
    I destroyed its red and brown patina and antique charm, making it worthless for their antique shop. :roll:
    (even though her ad had said "It appears to badly need cleaned and polished")

BTW, the trumpet was completely covered with small dents that the seller did not disclose.

And when I returned the trumpet to her, she complained that I failed to return the Bach mouthpiece with it.
    I told her that I stored the mouthpiece in the hidden storage compartment under the trumpet.
    She replied that she didn't know that trumpet cases have a hidden storage compartment.

- Morris

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Good luck with that one Morris. You really have the seller from EBay Hell. Interesting program on ebay on MSNBC last night. Very scary bunch, especially the eternally smiling CEO:-(

6. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    WOW!!! Can't tell you how happy I am. It's here and I'm taking a short break to
    give my chops a rest. I've been playing pretty much non stop- what a FABULOUS horn. Love the sound and I swear
    range and endurance are better too. That's possible, right? :thumbsup:
    I'd show it to you but I don't know how to post pics.
    Back to playing! Uh oh...now I'm thinking about the Shew mouthpieces.
    -Andrew

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    You Xn post pics from a site like Flickr or Photobucket, etc.

8. Bonasa

Bonasa Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2008
    Western New York
    Congratulations on what sounds like a great deal, Andrew. It's encouraging to hear that Craigslist is not completely overrun with scam artists working out-of-town deals.

FWIW, I heard that Bobby specifically designed his Shew autographed mouthpieces to complement the smaller bore (is it .438?) of that horn. I've heard they make a huge difference in the tone and playing characteristics of the horn. They come in two styles: "jazz" and "lead." The Shew "lead" mouthpiece is a traditional shallow-cup screamer, while the "jazz" piece (similar to a 14B4) is designed as a more flexible all-around player. Dare I suggest that you look for them on Ebay?

9. monel123

monel123 New Friend

Aug 28, 2006
    Midwest, USA
    Be careful with Craigslist...there is a scammer on there right now that tells you he is out of the country (he's from Canada...ya, right) in England on business, and he uses BillPay, or some other company. I have already contacted the company. Just don't buy anything from them......they are being investigated as I type.

10. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    I've spoken with that guy as well. Claimed he was in New York but out of the country in England indefinitely. Scam.