Gordicke: Concert Etude

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by student trumpet, Dec 14, 2004.

1. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    Dear Manny,

I am wondering if you could give me some advice on the double tounging sections. I can play them a an meidum loud dinamic well, but when i play it soft it isn't very clean sounding.

thanks ST

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear ST,

The reason your question is such an important one is because people tend to treat a symptom as a problem. In order to treat the problem we have to work on it and realize that a double tongue that doesn't speak is merely a symptom and not the real problem.

My guess is that there are probably other techniques that suffer the same symptoms of not speaking. Shall I guess that there are certain slurs that get "stuck" when you play instead of coming out freely and evenly?

Go to Arban's where the chromatic studies begin. The first two are what we want to help the problem.

Now, we need some good imagination. You know where the top of the jaw bone and the skull meet? I want you to relax so that you're pretending to make those two sections of your skull separate. Instead of looking like this < it's going to feel like this =.

Got it. You're going to have to relax a moment to get that going. When you think you have that, take a big breath and play a beautiful, free low C.

Notice how the neck, throat area seem really relaxed?

Do it a few more times and then play the first two chromatic scale studies. You'll notice how easy it is to play. Next do them again with the most super-legato double tongue you can. And again, but softer. And agin, but softer still.

The moral of the story is to be so relaxed when you play loud that you always retain that relaxed, wind-producing sound irrespective of dynamic. The great players that you observe look the same playing soft and loud. It's because they don't change anything but the intensity of the airstream. But, you have to open your throat and relax to play trumpet effectively. There's no other way.

Oh, by the way, try those sticky slurs , too at a nice mf level. You'll find those are more even, too.

If you get any kind of "crackiness" in the sound it just means you've gone too far into the relaxed zone and your lips are not sustaining themselves. Keep a nice, firm but not super tight embouchure.

Let us know how it goes.

ML

3. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    Manny, thanks, it helped a ton it really cleaned up my double tounging. It is great that you are doing these forum you are helping a lot of trumpeters. Thanks again

ST