Got braces off!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hichez, Oct 9, 2009.

1. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    First off thank you guys for reading this post.
    2 days ago I got my braces off and well to my suprise my range was somewhat untouced( can play a C about the staff). The problem is that it doesn't sound good. My lower register also suffered from dimished tone value.

Should this problem be dealt with the old fashion way such as lots of long tones , lip slurs. Also will it natually go away as I practice. I did proactice on a regular basis before I got my braces off and still do. Any advice is welcome

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2009
  2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Same thing as getting your braces on, get back used to the horn,
    long tones, lip slurs, maybe some articulation exercises. It should go away if you practice correctly

One thing that you may have to worry about it is the mpc not staying in one spot (it didn't happen to me), just try to be as consistent as possible in all things until everything is back to normal

3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Practice as you always did. Long tones to start out.
    What you need to worry about is the retainer you will get. Sometimes they are called an appliance. The wire that goes across the front of your upper and lower teeth is going to be a boundary condition to your lip vibrating. You will get used to having a crease in the inside of your lips. Do be aware that your orthodontist will adjust the wire at each appointment. The small movements of the wire will cause you problems in buzzing for a few days. Don't schedule appointments with the orthodontist close to a performance, contest etc.
    Good Luck. You will work it out.

4. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Braces are such a pain in the neck for trumpet and horn players. Follow the advice you're getting in this thread. How long it takes to adjust depends on how long you played before braces and how long with braces. One thing you'll definitely gain is flexibility. It is much easier to adjust your embouchure while playing when you don't have braces. It can work against you temporarly (which is why bagmangood mentioned that it may seem like the mpc is moving around a lot).

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The geometry of your face has changed. Of course there will be a BIG difference. You will need some time to get used to the new situation. That can take from a week to a year. There is no way that I can predict. Most of my students are uncomfortable for a week or two.

6. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    This statement is so true. Anything note past 3rd space C I crack occasionally its getting better though.