got lazy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Clarence, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Ever leave your horns in the car?
    Hell no when im in for the eveniNG I alway,s take my horns in the house.
    Not only is it a practice, but i have to have that peace of mind.
    A good friend of mine got lazy one night and lost two good horns!
    some one smasched out the windows to get them and his car was in his OWN DRIVEWAY!
    ever loose your gear cause you did something stupid?
    another friend drove away with his strad on top of his car!

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I heard of that happening once, too (driving away with the horn on the roof). My band director when I was in junior high did that (or so I heard). Freind of mine got mugged after a gig in NYC and they took his horn. I've had a couple disasters, though: once dropped my soprano off the bleacers at a drum corps contest and had my open case tripped on during brass quintet and all my horns in it fly out and the foot of the offending french horn player (figures, doesn't it?) landed on the middle of my Bb... :cry: (that was years ago...the Yamaha had some time in the shop with a miracle worker, but was never quite the same).

Where I am, only the deer or bears would break into your car and take something, so that's not really a concern for me. But it does get really cold in the winter, so leaving it in the car is a bad choice. Unless you want to cryogenically treat your horn!

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i have done the think the case is latched picked it up to go and it wasnt latched...

$60 later the bell looked like a bell again (copper bell cornet)

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Two years ago I was playing a job with a polish band. After the gig the accordion player and I put our instruments in his back seat and got something to eat. When we came out the rear window was smashed out and the rear door was open. Yep, someone had put ANOTHER accordion in the back seat!

-cw-

5. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    oh Lord,

I got my car broken into once, they take my CD player out of my dash, which was broken anyway.... fools. Meanwhile, I literally had about 6000 in trumpet, flugel, and mouthpieces sitting in my back seat that they didn't even touch, not to mention my jazz CD's. A friend of mine drove off with the strad on top of the car... it is now mounted in her living room... completely flattened.

~Joshua

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It is always a big question for me weather to leave the horn in the car after a job while eating.

We went out for drinks one night after a job and I had my Monette with me. Was it safer in the bar or the car?

I left it in the car and all was good but maybe I should give up the drinking! ?

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I heard a story once from a former band director of mine who is from Iowa and if I rember the story correctly, the trumpet player in the story was Ryan Kisor.

As the story goes, Ryan was getting ready to go somewhere (music contests I think) and while packing the car, he left his horn, a Bach Strad, behind the car and it got crushed when they backed out of the driveway.

Can anyone verify if this was in fact Ryan Kisor or if it was someone else?

8. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    Just another story - A high school girl in my town, preparing to leave for school - sets her violin up against the minivan. Her dad comes out a few seconds later and moves the van to get to his car. Violin falls over and gets run over by the van. Many pieces. Cost - $30,000.

What a high school girl needs with a violin that expensive eludes me. But in those circles it did not seem strange. My daughter plays violin and I learned this through her teacher. The girl was one of the best I've every heard at any level.

Lucky it wasn't her performance violin. :D

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    My horns are my babies,
    the theft of one is like an child abduction to me.

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree. I also won't put my horns in the trunk while I am driving for fear of being rear-ended and seriously damaging my horns. It happened to me in the '80s.....never again. They do go in the trunk after a gig, etc if I am grabbing a drink or eats and the car is not moving.....but when I am in the car driving, they are in the back seat, not the trunk. ;-)