Got my new trumpet and some questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chesley, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    OK, I got my new trumpet Saturday night. I drove to Dallas to see my mother, who lives with my sister and her husband. My sistetr and mother had driven to New York City to see my brother and drove back, being gone two weeks in all.

Anyway, she picked it up for me while she was there.

I don't know the brand. It says "Brasswind" on the bell, and that's about it, except that the mouthpiece is a Vincent-Bach 3C. I googled, but didn't find anything except an on-line music store.

Sunday and Monday I was gonna practice, but my great-niece took it away from me. I printed her out a fingering chart and some melodies, and she learned to play them. "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and things like that. She's first flutist (don't say flautist, she hates that) in her middle school band.

Tuesday I was on the road back to Tuscaloosa, so yesterday was the first chance I had to practice, which I did for about an hour and a half. The same today, and since I'm on vacation, I'll practice again this afternoon.

OK, I've got some questions.

First, my valves tend to stick unexpectedly, especially the second valve. I've oiled them twice, and for good measure applied slide grease to the slides. Any ideas about my next step?

Second, although I have been practicing long tones, I cannot seem to maintain the note once I get it. It must be something wrong with my embochure, but I don't know how to correct it.

Any help would be appreciated.:play:

2. Blasphemy

Blasphemy New Friend

Jun 24, 2011
    North Andover, MA
    It is very difficult to get started on trumpet without an example to follow. I would recommend watch a few videos of famous players, or finding a teacher. To the extent of my knowledge, the embouchure should be steady and firm all around for maximum control. It WILL take a while to build up muscle though.

As for your valves, I would do a full cleaning, or possibly try a new valve oil (after cleaning first).

Good luck!
    Blasphemy

3. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    There is a trumpet called "Brasswind" that is sold by Woodwind & Brasswind. Here is a link http://www.wwbw.com/Brasswind.wwbw Sometimes a new trumpet needs a break in period to have everything working well. Remove the valves, clean and oil them and reinstall. Do this regularly. You could call the company your mom bought it from to get an idea of what the trumpet is. They could also let you know if there are any warranty issues you should consider. As far as your long tones go are you just starting to play trumpet? Is your problem only with this trumpet?
    Hooray for mom:thumbsup:
    Good Luck
    Bobby

4. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    Actually Mama just visited my brother, who owned the trumpet. He had bought it to play with Daddy while he was alive. My brother is a studio musician in New York. He plays trombone, but he never really got to use the trumpet, so it is practically brand new, but is probably long out of warranty. I'll check out the link, thanks.

It may be that it does need a break in period.

I am just starting to play. I played in junior high, 50 years ago, but not since. I don't know. It may be that I only have about 3 hours of experience. I'll get better.

5. RMS

RMS Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2010
    Iowa
    Make sure you are pushing the valves straight up and down. Side pressure can cause them to stick. Clean them first,carefully. Then use finger tips on valves and then straight up and down.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO, a Brasswind brand trumpet is a low end student trumpet, one I hope no student of mine has or wants. I encountered such with a $50.00 used one and nothing I could do would keep the valves from sticking. Alternatively, I let that student use one of mine and another from a friend and though he moved away, I'm told he now has a new Bach Strad and is progressing great. For reference, read my posts long ago about Teddy.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    dump it and buy a 1950's Olds Ambassador...

8. jdangel38

jdangel38 Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2011
    agreed, I would have reccomended the same thing. the brasswind trumpet is pretty low quality. Get yourself an olds ambassador from the 1950's or 60's, you cant go wrong there.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    To sustain your notes - ya gotta breathe. If you can make the note - sustain is air supply, not embouchure.

Suck air in through the corners of your mouth and stick your stomach out a little - (stops you raising the shoulders and reduces the likelihood of tension in your neck).

GET A TUTOR QUICKLY. Sorry, I'm shouting.

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Being a near new trumpet, I would suggest cleaning the valves after every session. This will help remove any grit etc from the new valves.

Also clean it regularly, bathe it and clean it, slides, caps etc.

Even a cheap trumpet will do to start off, and teach you good maintenance habits.

If you are doing all the required cleaning, and nothing is faulty with the horn, then you will know when it is time to up-grade.
    YouTube - ‪How to Clean Wind Instruments : How to Clean a Trumpet‬‏

Cheers