Got my new trumpet and some questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chesley, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  2. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    I thank all of you for your help:-)

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ..... and this is where it really starts. :play::play::play:

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Chelsey,

I am interpreting you are in Tuscaloosa, AL. Hope you didn't suffer from the tonadoes. I am there occasionally as I am associated with the university. Seeing the destruction in person really brought it home. In some areas, it was like a nuclear bomb went off.

With UA located there, there are a lot of players around and many teachers, so you ought to think about at least a couple of lessons. That might help you get off to a good start. More than likely one of the university trumpet majors would be glad to give you a few pointers.

My wife played in jr. high many years ago and I have started her back at playing as she was feeling left out from my son and I playing. Point being, no age issue with playing.

While I am unfamiliar with the brand of horn, best bet is to give it a bath as in the video posted previously, clean the valves with a cotton cloth, including the valve casing and then oil well. Rarely, some valves are a little finicky on a brand new trumpet.

Best of luck.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now 75 years old, I really believe I can state no one is too old to play a trumpet ... even though I've read that others are older, I am unable to corroborate their story.

However, being familiar with the Brasswind brand trumpet, I truly believe such a trumpet's "eccentricities" would hold back a beginning player or one that is more advanced. Too, I'd doubt if a competent tech would even consider applying his/her skills to correct the problem of the valves viz a precision honing and lapping in. Should I have the same problem with one of my trumpets (none a Brasswind) they would be on the way to a tech instantly.

6. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry about the tornado. I totally missed it, and my house sufferred only minor damage.

My brother's house had 2 pecan trees fall on it, and my son's house, although right across the street from the area in Alberta City that was totally flattened, we also thought had only minor damage.

Last week, we found out that the tornado had picked up the entire roof about 2 inches and set it back down in place, pulling out the nails.

He hired an engineer to look at it after things kept falling off.

But everybody is alive and uninjured, and for that I thank God.

7. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    Well, I watched the video, and cleaned my trumpet entirely, with special attention to the valves and valve casings. I greased and oiled generously, and the valves no longer are sticking.:thumbsup::cool:

This helps a lot as now I can know what I need to work on, and will not waste time with what isn't my problem, but the trumpet's.:play::play:

On a more serious note, tomorrow I go to the endontist to have a root canal on my left front teeth redone. I suspect that it will be awhile before I practice again. Or maybe not. Who knows?:dontknow:

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Chesley - yours is a very poignant story - and a roller-coaster ride - from 50-year layoff to new trumpet (with sticky valves) to a week of playing to fixing your valves to wondering if you'll ever be able to again. I was off for 40+ years and just re-started about a year-and-a-half ago so I can relate to the effort to start on the comeback trail and the many frustrations - but I had nothing like that.

There are many returning players here and we are all pulling for you to be able to continue. Keep us posted.

Also, it was nice to hear that your family escaped major injury in the tornadoes.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    great thread ..keep us posted ... if you can't play because of the root canal ..you can always work on your breathing for a few weeks... oh and start listening to trumpet players .. find some you like

10. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    oh and start listening to trumpet players .. find some you like

I've been doing that. And cornet players. I've been listening to the Brassed Off version of The William Tell Overture. The soloist is amazing.

YouTube - ‪Brassed off: Wilhelm tell overture‬‏

If I have to buy a new instrument. And I cet\rtainly may. I'll probably look around for a British style cornet.

I don't actually think that I won't be able to play again. Just not for a few days, or a week or two maybe. I don't intend to give up.