Got my new trumpet and some questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chesley, Jun 30, 2011.

1. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    That was amazing. Spot on timing, the energy was fantastic, the dynamics were smoothly executed, what a great group!

2. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    Well, my root canal was a success, and my lip is finally tough enough again to blow on the trumpet for a while withoug pain. So I started practicing again yesterday.

3. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    1) Get a decent horn.

2) Get a decent teacher.

:-)

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    That's the spirit - we trumpet players are a hardy bunch, and never give up.:thumbsup:

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Chesley,

When I started my comeback, a few years ago now, I very quickly got conned into joining a local junior concert band - absolutley the VERY BEST thing I could have done - I highly recommend it as a course of action. Yes you will make mistakes, but often everyone else is doing that too. It's a great way to get into the lead-in stuff for your playing. I'm now playing regularly in three bands, an advanced concert band, a stage band, and a brass band.

The single best thing for your improvement, apart from joining a band (even before you think you are ready) is regular focussed practice sessions - you need to have that trumpet on your face EVERY SINGLE DAY. Some days may necessarilly be only short sessions but get it done regardless of whatever else is happening - it is important.

Now what we have done for you is spoiled the capacity for a laid back approach to music, no longer will you be able to listen without some sort of anaylsis of the playing going on in you head - sorry.

6. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hey Ted, just wondering but I have been looking for something to get into as well. How did that happen, did you know someone who was a music directer at a school? I've often thought of asking if I could sit in with a class so I could progress and get that much needed charge that comes from playing with others.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Schleiman, I was scammed by my youngest son, if truth be told.

My eldest boy was playing tuba in the local concert band - a band where they were trying to provide an outlet for kids between 7 and 18, and outside the school band environment.

Well, #2 son said to me one day "Dad, if I take up the trombone, will you get your trumpet out of the cupboard and play tunes with me?"

Silly me, instantly "Yes, sure".

The VERY NEXT day he came home from school with a trombone - he'd joined the school band programme - he was 11 (and tricky like his Mother, I'll have to watch that kid, thinks I).

Ok, so I got all my old primers out, bought a book on musical notation, and then tried to work out what I'd remembered from 37 years earlier - NOTHING. Anyhow, worked my way through the exercises with him and we were getting sound. He just left me in the dust, but a spark had been struck and I persisted on my own. #2 son had also joined the concert band to play with his brother - Dad was just too slow, and played treble clef.

One evening, dropping #1 and #2 sons to Concert Band, the Band Director approached me in the carpark, "I understand you play trumpet" says he (no secrets in our house) and next thing I know I'm booked for a Christmas Carol performance 6 months later - my does that focus your mind.

Schleiman, the bl**dy kids had set me up, and #2 son and I are still with that band too. He's 20 y.o. so I guess I've been back 9 years - call it a mid-life crisis if you will.

So, how do you go about it, go to local music stores and ask them what they know about concert bands in the area - ring the band, or preferably just turn up with your instrument and politely ask to sit in (give them some history about yourself) and see how you go. You don't have to play that first time, but the other members will expect you to give it a go the second time around. Do you have Salvation Army Bands locally, or the local church? They are other options.

Shyness IS NOT IN A TRUMPETERS VOCABULARY - yeah, yeah, you might think you're shy - but wait till you meet Viola players, reluctant little flowers they are.ROFL

I'd be really interested in your success.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There is an online directory of community bands. That is how I located the one that I play in. Like Ted, it is the best thing that I have done for my comeback effort.

I will look again for the link to that directory when I have more time and post it here.