Got my trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SFPat, Oct 16, 2009.

1. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    Actually its for my son, a used Selmar Bundy, but.....first time playing in over 25 years. Played a series of scales, reached A above the staff with relative ease. My son (and wife) was impressed. I'm ready for the comeback.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Good choice with the Bundy for your kid. Now go get a Strad for yourself!!!!!!

3. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    Unfortunately, the strad will have to wait. I've got three kids in college, one who needs an oboe (big bucks) and one who needs a concert harp
    (Big, big bucks). But someday they will all be done and then, yes the strad.

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    You sure have some overhead to contend with, especially with that oboe and the harp.You should be able to find a decent horn for yourself pretty cheap, until you can afford the Strad, or equivalent. Keep your comeback on track.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  5. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Whew! *3* of your offspring in college at the same time! Wow. Gee, I think that after they all graduate, they should show their appreciation by buying you a brand-new Strad (or equivalent, like Dave iterated. Psssst, SFPat, don't be too surprised if Dave and I tease you with the Kanstul 1537 when you're ready to start thinking about *your* new horn. It's quite an incredible horn).

BTW, welcome to the comeback trail, SFPat. Glad you're aboard this great adventure with the rest of us!

Herb

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Welcome to another comeback player. We're starting to take over the world - er, that is, right after we finish practicing from our Arban's book.

Anyway, if you are looking for a candidate for yourself until the kids are out of college and you can buy the Strad, look no further than the list in my signature block. Every one of them is a great comeback horn - I have found out first hand - and none were really very expensive. My only problem is deciding which one to play at any particular time. As part of my comeback effort, I joined a community band and when I go, I take my 3-horn gig bag with different ones each week. It has now become a standing joke in the trumpet section to see if they can guess which one's I brought and which one I will play (sometimes I play all three just to see if the conductor notices).

Wow - I never knew that being a comeback player could be so much fun. I hope you have as much, also. Playing along in family jam sessions can also add to it and it looks like you have a lot of participants.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    My first wife played the oboe. We found an old Laubin in a music store. It barely played. I think we paid about 500.00 for it. We brought it to the Laubin factory and Mr Laubin re-worked the oboe for about another 300.00. Now we had one of the best oboes for around for $800.00.

Later in life we bought a Lauree English horn. We brought that to Mr Laubin to be worked on, even though it was brand new and then had one of the best english horns around.

8. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    In the interim, I just bought an Olds Ambassador on ebay for $72. Should have it in a few days. Playing about one hour a day using Ken Saul's warmups and scales and some hymns and piano music (all six of my kids took piano so I have plenty of piano music). Working to build endurance, then will start working on range.

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Glad to hear it. Good horn to acquire.:thumbsup:

10. dpa10

dpa10 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    I'm sure this will sound sacreligious, but here it goes.
    If one has a trumpet with good valve action, the slides work, the spit valves seal etc. What is the difference between one piece of brass tubing with a .460 diameter and another?:-o
    And setting aside subtle differences, is it only the accomplished player that can truly tell the difference?

I've played $300 guitars and $2,000 guitars (Acousitc, to eliminate amp differences) and often the differences are hardly discernable to all but a handful of people. (Quality control on inexpensive guitars has gone way up in recent years)

Acoustic guitars seem a bit more delicate than brass tubing and valves.
    Solid spruce tops, mahogany bodies, rosewood frets etc.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or trying to raise anyone's ire but I would really like to hear why a Bach Strad or a Yamaha Xeno or a Monette etc. is considered worth 2 to 3 times more than a reasonable well constructed piece of brass tubing?

What justifies the price difference, and who can tell the difference?
    Thanks for any replies.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009