Got my trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SFPat, Oct 16, 2009.

1. dpa10

dpa10 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies.
    This is helpful in gaining perspective on the many facets of trumpet playing and trumpet equipment.

For me, it sounds like I need to simply oil the valves and keep blowing!
    Occassionally I get an amazing tone with a hint of vibrato. A player I know told me this can happen if I am right on pitch, although I sensed it had more to do with a subtle breath modulation.

Fact or fiction?
    Does a perfectly in tune note have a vibrato sound?
    Just trying to sort out the fiction from fact.
    Lot's of "tribal knowledge" passed around the world of music.

2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I think we mustn't forget the other side of the coin. If you're poorly trained,poorly practised and/or lack any real musical ability, you'll sound lousy no matter how much you spend. I guess you have to be honest with yourself. I don't mean to be discouraging,but I've seen this happen too often;kids getting papa to put out big bucks for a pro horn that ends up on the shelf.:play:

3. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Thanks for your very thoughtful and insightful reply, rowuk. Great reply from a pro and educator.

4. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    The Olds Ambassador arrived last Friday. It's not the prettiest horn but the slides moved well and the valves are smooth, just needed little bit of oil. It blows well and sounds great (at least to me).

I must be making progress in my comeback. Yesterday my daughter came in while I was practicing and said I sounded great. Its the type of compliment teenage daughters normally don't give their old man.

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Great! Milk it for as long as you can. Definitely un-teenager like. I found our 3 kids, now 29,34 and 37, appreciated our musical efforts much more after 25 or so, and gone from the house and not dragged to our band concerts like when they were kids.;-)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tuning has little to do with vibrato. Perfectly in tune is only in relation to another note being played or previously played. Except for an octave, all other intervals change the intonation depending on their position in the key being played. There is no one frequency for each note if we play perfectly in tune.