Got rid of the winston

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hahkeystah, Jan 14, 2011.

1. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Well all, after a month of scaring the cockroaches away with my musical instrument shaped Winston, I finally upgraded. found a yamaha ytr-200ad in a pawn shop actually, $275 and this thing is pristine. no marks scratches or dings anywhere except two tiny little dings on the we second valve slide. I only noticed them when I was breaking it down and cleaning/oiling it. Very excited and am beginning the honeymoon phase now:D

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Sounds like a good deal. That price is in the ballpark for what you'd find on eBay, but it's always better to be able to actually see the trumpet before you buy it, and you don't have to worry about shipping.

Good luck.

3. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    lol i did find it on ebay, but the pawn shop was in statesboro, ga, about an hour from here, so i made the hike to look at it and buy it in person

by the way, i've always wanted to play in a band that played southern party (i.e. mel mcdaniels singing "lousiana saturday night"). but none of the bands i've heard have wind instruments, unless you go very bluegrass. anyone know of a band i could listen to like that?

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    As a 36-year banjo picker I can assure you "real" bluegrass ain't got no wind instruments other than the occasional harmonica, and only when it can't be avoided.

[​IMG]

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Bluegrass and country music genre is all I encounter here around Jackson NC. I've looked at lots of sheet music for country and thought why not for some, but Bluegrass ... even I can't begin to consider blowing a trumpet to ... just wouldn't sound right or authenic. Well when I'm really in the groove following restoration of my teeth perhaps I'll take a go at Boot's Randolph's Yakety Sax in a duet with my daughter on tenor sax. She CAN play it and his Cacklin' Sax also. Such will "Make my Life !" at least as far as my brass horn playing goes.

6. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    yeah, there's always a niche for something... can we say ska? if you were to ask around in the 20's no one would have imagined guitar being the primary instrument for music played on the radio. it would take a little reworking, but i think a lot of songs would sound pretty interesting if you were to substitute the fiddle part for a trumpet... just a thought

7. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Somebody always has to be first. Can't hurt to try, or as they used to say "run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes!"

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Such is not impossible ... but a lot of such violin parts would require trumpeters to be masters of the DHC and above or a picc or play those parts vb8.

Well, if one were to think further back in time when the world waltzed to the music of Johann Strauss & son ... I've recorded the popular excerpt from his Blue Danube and the complete Tales From the Vienna Woods on brass horns only.

In the early 20s, more than half the U.S. population didn't have a radio and the live music was at it's peak.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Look for recordings of the Nashville Brass.