Got the part!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Hi all,

For the few of you who know me.. a few months ago I posted asking if anyone had the Beauty and the Beast tpt 1 book, because I was auditioning and wanted to generally know the music going in. Since then, auditions have taken place and I got the lead role :D.

It goes up to an F above high C which isn't bad, but endurance wise, concerns me. I played Legally Blonde last year, and that was a very brass-heavy show. This, not so much but the songs where we have to play, we really have to play... not to mention a lot of piccolo! My question; what are some ways I can build endurance? I'm not looking for a "build 3 hours in 3 days" equation, but I would generally like some info on building endurance, specifically for a pit setting, if that makes a difference.

Any halp is appreciated!

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    F above high C isn't bad!?
    Unless you are playing piccolo you are already beyond my pay grade!

3. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Ok let me rephrase that :)

Obviously, an F is going to take some work, I will be the first to admit to you, I have to put forth an effort to get it to sound good. By "isn't bad", I had meant the fact that I could play it musically and controlled, hence it being in my "actual" range; implying that range was not the issue here (for once!). My range (finally done transitioning from braces... 8 months later) is an F#, anything above that isn't usable, so it's not in my range. There are parts on Bb and picc.

I've figured out a way to play high that is very effortless compared to how I see a lot of kids my age trying to play. I have really began to think about what my tongue does with/ to the air and off of that, spiraled how I play high. Even though I find it to be relatively "easy" (I use that word loosely) to go high, it still takes a lot of muscular strength to hold the pitch, which here lies my problem of endurance.

I recently attended a concert by one of the big local jazz groups. They invited people to come stand up with them. You could tell the lead guy was born to play. I sat and watched what he did differently from low to high. What did I notice..? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He didn't take any more air in and it wasn't apparently obvious that his muscles were working. Moral of the story: if you do it right, playing high really isn't that different. Seeing this guy play lead, making my ears ring from the volume (I was BEHIND his bell by the way), really made me re-evaluate rowuks emphasis on the holistic approach.

Sidenote: I play on a Bach 3c for everything except marching. Probably doesn't help my endurance but I've never really experimented with a ton of options and this works ok. Still half considering a Stomvi 3GVR but the $$$ is insane.

4. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    You might like to check the eBook Courting The Upper Register. I did a short review last week.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f214/ipads-kindles-70401.html#post804795

There is nothing radical in the exercises given, but I would bet that many players (I include myself) would find a difference between their "Range" and "Playing Range" when doing these exercises. This delta I believe is that whilst we might be able to play all night in our comfortable range, as we get to our upper limits, wherever these may be, all sorts of nasty habits/techniques creep (back) in or worsen - tension, pressure, doubts etc. The eBook is less than $4, so it's better that you try it than me try to explain.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Endurance comes from low impact exercises over a long period of time. Fatigue, as I understand it, comes from the inability of our body to cycle enough blood in the affected muscle. Playing the lower register Clarke studies we will experience a "tingling" feel, which means the capillaries are exchanging significant amounts of blood. Over time, the capillaries will adapt and get bigger, able to exchange even more blood. Properly performed, pedal tones are a low impact way to build some of the muscles needed for the upper register. Most range studies use progressively higher arpeggios coupled with pedal tones in between.

Try 'em, you'll like 'em.

6. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
  7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Go for the Stomvi Mouthpiece System size 3. Less pricey than the 3 GVR, much more flexible, and really gives you options. Worth every cent you spend on it, and then some.

8. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    You're going to get many suggestions about Rowuk's Circle of Breath, lip setpoint, ppp playing, long tones, Stamp, etc., all of which are very good. However, I think one more thing to remember (and it ties in to the Circle of Breath) is not to tense during the actual playing. Many times, we can do things in the practice room pretty well but when we get out into the real world, it doesn't work. Either we can't play it, or we can but get tired way too easily. This is due to tension. If, in your excitement, you take a "Get ready, get set, GO!" approach, you'll wipe yourself out fast. The trick is to play as relaxed as you do when practicing. That means concentrating on posture and breath. That means not articulating like an explosion or using the death grip on the horn in your nervousness.

Much easier said than done. Do as I say, not as I do. :-)

-John

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We are what we repeatedly do. We earn our abilities by doing what is necessary hundreds to thousands of times.

Playing shows well needs a commercial approach to sound, not knocking walls down or drilling holes in the wall.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    And I breathe MUCH better standing than sitting. Of course, I DO have to accommodate my belly.