Got to record with Terrence Blanchard for a new movie. "Little Rootie Tootie"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sounds7, Oct 26, 2013.

1. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    It was kind of unexpected really. Yes I kind of know terrence but not extremely well. The gig came through this big band that reads its butt off and plays once a month at snug harbor for very little money. We just play that snug date mainly because we love the music. I guess it paid off a bit for us.It would be nice if more Hollywood work came our way.
    Terrance had his touring group there playing the tunes live with us and the movie producer was there as well. I am not sure when it hits theaters.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Cool! Now we have movie stars on TM!

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Wow. I'm impressed. Know it had to be a blast.

4. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Yes it was fun but it was intense as well. Didn't want to miss a single note or rhythm for these guys.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Very memorable moment, and worth a couple of dinners to share this story.

Thanks for sharing the moment with us!
    Appreciated with a dose of green [​IMG]

6. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    You got to do what we all want to do--record with a trumpet legend, have a great time and get paid for it!!:D

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Here's my Terence Blanchard story. Back in the 80s, before I attended Berklee, I used to live a couple of blocks
    from the school. Every night I'd go over and wander the practice rooms, and eventually get sucked into a jam
    session. Two of the guys I used to play with a lot (they wouldn't remember me or anything) were Don Harrison and
    Jean Toussaint, who played alto and tenor respectively.

It had been a while since I'd seen the guys and I heard Art Blakey was coming to town. I got to the show very early to
    get a good seat. When I got there, there was nothing on the stage except a piano. I was literally sitting a foot from the stage.

It had been a couple of years since I'd seen Blakey. After a while a guy came out and sat at the piano and start kind of noodling around.
    After a couple of minutes I realized he was playing 'Pinnochio' (not an easy tune), and playing it very well! "Well", I thought, "Blakey's got a
    new piano player and he's a hun."

So, the guy goes away after a while and the band sets up. The show starts and the new piano player is actually the new trumpet player. And he's
    a friggin' monster!!! And yes, it was Terence. Jean and Don were also on the band and Jean was literally a foot from me. After Terence's first solo
    he just looked down at me grinning "He's a bitch ain't he?"

Yep.

bigtiny

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Karma handed you a gem after the rough year.. applause/////
    so the un asked question
    Which horn did you bring to the gig?

9. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Cool sounds7! By the way, "Little Rootie Tootie" was the toddler nickname of Thelonious Monk's only son, T.S.

10. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    The Callichio 1s2, because it was a big band setting and it had some high range stuff in the parts and the Calicchio records very well. I am still eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Harrelson Summit so hopefully the next time something like this pops up I will have that option there to choose from as well. One of the guys in the section had an Inderbinen (One of the new models) and he let me try it. I love that horn so N+1 bit me on the session. It looked just like this trumpet http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...013-spontane-Demonstration-INDERBINEN_306.jpg

and this
    http://www.inderbinen.com/media/galerie/index.html