Gotta get a grip....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccNochops, Dec 20, 2006.

1. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    This might have already ran once before, so all y'all indulge me if it did. Tell me about how to hold this thing called a trumpet. When I was growing up, the grip was left hand around the center of the valves, ring finger in the third valve slide ring; right hand pinky in the ring & thumb under the lead pipe, fingers curled on the top of the valves? Right? So what's with this gripping the horn low on the valves? Is there a right way or wrong way? Alot has changed during my 28 year vacation....please enlighten me :dontknow: ......chuck

2. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    You might want to look at what Claude Gordon does to answer your question; however, what is comfortable for you should work as well.

IMO, how your lips are "grabbing" the mpc is much more important.

[​IMG]

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I guess it's all in what's comfortable to for you Chuck...

I was taught the exact way you describe so that's what I do. Some people do; some don't.

Different strokes for different folks eh? :dontknow:

Either way I don't think there's a right way or wrong way.

4. S-Money

S-Money Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Just a thought,

If you experiment with the different ways to hold it...
    "Normally"
    Thumb Below the 1st valve slide
    Pinkey and Ring fingers under 3rd valve slide
    All but you pointer finger below the 3rd valve slide
    All fingers below 3rd valve slide

They slightly change how the horn hits your face, and the pressure spots it causes. I believe it reduces pressure on the lips using the 2nd to last two on the above list (check out YouTubes of Maynard and his band), but it may cause other things to occur - who knows! Also, try it yourself. This is what I have found to be the case, anyway.

But, as Schwab said, its whatever is comfortable, and no one is going to take you away for it.

RS

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm one of the rare birds that holds the left hand with a 2/2 grip as opposed to the 3 on top and 1 on the bottom. I have very long fingers and it feels best for me.

ML

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    My left hand changes. Sometimes, I dig right in, pinky under third slide, or the same, but pnky on top of 3rd slide, sometimes very light on the tips, pinky again either under slide or on top, and sometimes I forget I have an entrance and just pick the dang thing up in a hurry and just get it on my lips..however I have it is how I hold it!

Basically, though, what everyone else has said: hold it in a comfortable and natural way.

7. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    I guess everyone grips it differently to suit there style of playing. Notice how maynard grips the horn with his left hand in this clip...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghDdsTmt7_0.......I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, but this particular grip is to minimize pressure on the top lip and transfer it to the bottom lip (or so I'm told) I've seen Patrick Hession us this same grip before...

8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    JS, I guess that is what I'm kinda asking, does the grip change the pressure? My 1st time around, I was centered on the lips and use a standard grip....lots of pressure to reach the high notes. The joy of being a come back player is there are no chops, I get to start fresh. I got told to slide lower on the left hand to put more pressure on the lower lip. Sometimes I just put my left hand under the valve caps & use zero pressure to play. Sometimes I don't hook the pinky on the right hand. Lately I've moved the mouthpiece way low (1/4 left on top on the lips)....wild stuff emminates outta the bell. Hard to control stuff, but I can see where it could be alot of fun under control. Is using pressure cheating to play high? Geez....I got a million questions to ask, I need to learn to type faster:D .....chuck

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The grip itself does not determine the pressure, the angle of the horn respective to your lips determines the distribution of pressure between the upper and lower lips and your arms determine how much pressure is being applied.
    There is no functional difference between the grips, the angle is the determining factor. The sensual difference between the two has been well described above.
    I always get an image of a big band scream player when I see the 2/2 finger position. After Manny's last video at Monette, I guess he qualifies.........

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ditto that. I also find that having a very "slick" 3rd slide and using my middle finger to push the slide open seems to upset my "set" less than the so-called "normal" method because there is less movement in the hand muscles. But you DO have to pay attention to keeping the slides working "just right".