GR 3HC vs 3HC*

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Tradeoff, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Tradeoff

Tradeoff New Friend

Jun 7, 2005
    Fishers, Indiana
    I have a Haefener 3HC, and it was suggested that I might want to try thr 3HC*. Is this the same blank as the Haefner 'piece? This information is not on Steve's web site, and I can't seem to find it on the GR Haefner page. Can anyone help me determine the answer and the differences between the pieces?

Thanks.

2. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Despite the similar naming scheme, the 3HC* is actually GR rather than a Haefner piece. It does not have the Haefner blank, but a GR blank. It's either the standard or symphonic blank - I can't remember which one for certain but I think it was the classic blank. (When I tried out some of the C* and C** mouthpieces one had the symphonic blank, and I seem to remember it was the C**.) You'd have to email the GR folks to find out for sure.

The symphonic blank is similar to the Haefner, just a little heavier because it doesn't have the grooves that the Haefner blank has. The classic blank differs more. Rather than me trying to describe the difference and doing a lousy job, I'll refer you to the pictures on the GR web site.

Sorry not to have a complete answer, but hope this helps some.

3. cooljazz

cooljazz New Friend

Jul 3, 2004
    HI, I play a GR 3HC*, this piece have a GR standard blank with a GR 3 backbore. The cup should be the same as the 3HC, just the throat is smaller on the 3HC*.

Stef

4. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    I used to play the 3HC* and I agree with all the comments above. It is a GR mouthpiece, not a Haefner. It's designed to play with a little more resistance than the other 3HC's.

http://www.grmouthpieces.com/cups.htm

5. cooljazz

cooljazz New Friend

Jul 3, 2004
    [/Tradeoff wrote: I have a Haefener 3HC, and it was suggested that I might want to try thr 3HC*. ]

Hi Tradeoff,

Im intresting to know if you tried a 3HC* and your impression between this two model.

Thx, stef