GR Leadpipe Conversions?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by orchtrpt, Jul 21, 2004.

1. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
  2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
  3. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
  4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana

Jim

5. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

I think Gary was/is developing his own leadpipe - it's not just a reverse pipe conversion.

6. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I've bugged Brian Scriver about this a couple times but I think he's begun to ignore my emails. :-) With any luck he'll see this thread and throw us a few teasers about the pipe(s) and perhaps an ETA because I've been salivating for months now.

What I DO know....you'll have to send your horn to Charlie Melk to have the pipe fit and it'll also include a tuning slide. Previous conversations have not lead me to any conclusions about how many models there will be or when it will be available but I do know that it will be availble in regular or reverse configuration. I'm thinking about having it done to my Yammie and converting it to a reverse pipe.

7. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    So is this a modification to an existing leadpipe. Or is it a brand new leadpipe they slap on? When I hear the word conversion I am expecting that they do something to an existing leadpipe. Not replace it with something else.

TRPTPIMP

Even having never played or seen one of these you would ship your trumpet out and have this done sight unseen? You must have alot of faith in GR.

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Faith in GR? Perhaps.

Most reverse leadpipe conversions add a longer leadpipe and reverse the tuning slide so the venturi is longer. Some say this adds resistance. Many say it helps intonation and slotting.

The faith is probably well placed in GR. But reverse setups can be played on Conn V1, ZeuS Olympus, Schilke, and even Bach Strads. You can try a reverse leadpipe setup before sending your horn off. I guess I would recommended it. My personal take is that on a ML bore or bigger, it greatly helps intonation. YMMV.

Jim

9. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    I personally feel that they should have waited a tad longer to announce this project. When I first saw the coming soon...I thought a couple weeks maybe. No, howabout months. Keeps ya checking back tho doesn't it?
    might be a smooth marketing technique there. Be honest now, how many mpcs have u guys bought just checking back to see about the leadpipe conversion? me....hmm....only 3-4. hah! not really tho, i'm happy with my 66m and 66s.

Can't wait to see the 1st conversion tho. wonder what the price will be. maybe if we all stop asking about it...the price will be lower. it's worth a shot guys.

10. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    MC,

Why do you keep talking about "reverse". How do you know it is a reversed pipe? Maybe it is but just because they use the word conversion doesn't mean its reversed (i don't think)

If all they are doing is reversing things I don't think its much of a conversion! I could have any repair man do that. And FWIW on many instruments I have played revesed leadpipes make things worse.

I guess what we have learned here is no one knows what GR has in store for us with these conversions :D Carry on and thanks for the help.