GR vs. Monette Mouthpiece Comparison

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by crh, Mar 23, 2010.

1. crh

crh New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    Both GR and Monette have very highly developed approaches to mouthpieces. Are there any of you that have made thorough comparisons or significant experiences with each brand? What are your findings? Please share your thoughts as players & listeners.

Thank you.

Chris

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You play the one that works for you.

What kind of comparison are you looking for?

What could anyone possibly tell you?

3. crh

crh New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    Both GR and Monette have very highly developed approaches to mouthpieces. Are there any of you that have made thorough comparisons or significant experiences with each brand? What are your findings? Please share your thoughts as players & listeners.

Thank you.

Chris

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

If they fit, they work good.
    Extremely high-end mouthpieces

5. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I switched from Monette to GR and back after about a year. The GR played well on the Bb but I had a lot more intonation headaches on the C trumpet and audience members told me that my sound on the Monette was warmer and bigger, so I switched back.

6. trumpetman41

trumpetman41 Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    I have a Monette and a GR on my shelf. Don't play either. Solar Bell is right. If it works for you, play it.

Welcome to TM.

7. Adam-PL

Adam-PL Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    Gdynia - Poland
    If I might say few words.

Some time back I played on Monette 2 series, then I was looking for a different sound and found the GR's, but after a while I came back to Monette 1-2 series this time. When I switched my job to a Marine Orchestra I started looking on Laskey mouthpieces and now I use both Laskey 50 series and Monette B6 and BP6.

What the journey told me is that each of those mouthpieces is different.
    You can compare rim shapes and cup depths... but when you blow one or another you will "hear" the difference. You will not only hear but you will also fell the difference.

B6 and BP6 are great for classical music and brass quintet that I play, Laskey 50S* is great when it comes to lead and fff playing, but the 50F sounds so nice on my 631 flg.

You need to try each mouthpiece and compare it to your own "idea of playing" this is the only comparison method that works.

Best
    adam

8. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I have owned and used both. I play GR's presently and have for about 6-8 years.

No one can tell you what works for you, all we can do is confirm these brands are both high quality pieces. Find someone who has them and try them out.

TD

9. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    Monette is far and away the best mouthpiece I have ever played on and yes, I have played on GR's; however, we each have our own preferences.

10. jessman

jessman Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Forgive me like sounding like the "Village Idiot" but what is GR Mouthpiece? I play a monette, and a bobby shew jazz. Never heard of the GR...