Grad school, college tours, scheduling?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by srharron, Jul 19, 2014.

1. srharron

srharron New Friend

Jul 15, 2014
    Hi all! For those who have endured the process of applying to grad schools, when and how did you schedule your college tour and applications/auditions?

I'll be finished with my undergrad in Dec 2015, so I have a year and a half before I would be entering grad school. However, I want to get as much exposure as possible to different schools and professors.

I'm looking into UNC University of the Arts, University of Maryland and some other schools along the east coast. I plan to make a road trip this fall to visit schools, but would that be considered too far in advance? How did you approach the trumpet profs and let them know that you are interested in their program?

I will be out of the country for my spring 2015 semester because I'll be studying music/spanish studies in Spain, woo hoo ! :) That will only leave me with one semester left in my undergrad. I think this fall is the perfect time, right?

Thanks for your help!

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I don't think your road trip is too early, but is this going to be before your fall semester starts? Because if it is, there's a good chance that your professors won't be at the university and also that you won't really be seeing the university when it's in full swing.

3. srharron

srharron New Friend

Jul 15, 2014
    That's a great point. Thank you for bringing up the point that the profs might not be on campus until the semester begins. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a pain in their teaching schedule to host a potential student, but I suppose it is better to approach them while in the swing of things on campus.

Thanks.

4. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    You're welcome.

I was just wanting to keep you from making plans that might not be fruitful. However, this doesn't mean that some of the profs are not on campus or in the area and willing to meet with you. In fact, they might even prefer it, so my suggestion is to simply give them a call and ask them which is best for them (not for you ;-) )

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Why not visit starting in the Spring of 2016? Everyone should be around and you'll have your graduate chops all ready to play.

6. kehaulani

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    (self-deleted)