Grades...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Ok, so i was wondering, just how important are grades to get into the good schools?

2. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Assuming you mean good music schools, they matter just about as much as anywhere else. Most of the good music schools I know of (I attend University of North Texas) require that you get accepted to the University before you can be accepted to the music school. Even if you are a music major, you are going to have standard academic work in the form of university core classes. Also, it will serve you well in your major courses. A music major (at least at UNT) doesn't just play music. They have to take music theory, music history, musical physics (UNT), and many other classes. Sometimes a music school may be able to convince the university to accept you, but probably not unless they are very interested in you.
    Some people may be able to tell you more if you list schools that you are looking at. I only know about UNT.

3. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Okay...maybe I'm just lost or something but what is Music Physics? (I'm sure I know the answer to this question)

4. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Here at UNT, we have to take a class called Science and Technology of Musical Sound. You learn about how sound waves interact, what makes us hear, speed of sound, how instruments work, how acoustics work, and a handful of other things. I am enrolled in it now, and the semester started last month so I can't give a very in depth description of what all you study, but that is what we've learned so far.
    Surprisingly a very fun class.

5. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    As a high school teacher, I can tell you that a college looks at ALL your grades. They will of course weight courses related to your chosen major a little more (math and science if you're going into engineering, for example). Showing A's and B's in the courses not directly related to your major shows colleges you have a strong work ethic, persistence, and long-term focus.

If you're going into your senior year of H.S., pick your courses wisely and continue to work hard. Colleges are showing preference toward students that carry a full load up through high school graduation.

And of course don't forget the extra-cirriculars. Colleges LOVE a well-rounded student.

IMHO,
    Steve

6. JazzABCs

JazzABCs New Friend

Feb 7, 2008
    Ann Arbor
    There are two steps to college acceptance for music majors:

1. acceptance by the university (grades, ACT/SAT, recommendations, application/essay, extra-curricular activities...)

2. acceptance as a music major (audition, recommendations...)

Check out: Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report and College Rankings for some info on college selectivity.

If grades are an issue, there are schools with good music programs that are not too selective academically. Another option is to attend a community college and later transfer to a four-year college.

7. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Grades are becoming more and more important along with ACT/SAT scores. Secondary colleges with music programs are getting more selective however a lot depends on enrollments, they need to fill classrooms. For example, applying to Indiana University's School of Music your grades and audition will have to be top notch. Comparied to Indiana State University, which by the way has an excellent music program but more geared toward music education vs. performance which IU is known for, if you have average grades and a satisfactory SAT score you will be admitted. If you are fairly proficient with your instrument and know your major scales by que, you will get in.

However, if you are planning on going to college, you should not even be asking this question. You should be striving to get the best GPA possible and be developing good study habits. It is getting tougher to get into schools now and many are becoming selective.

So trash your question, crack the books, study and get the best grades you can. If you wait until your Senior year to work on your GPA start looking for a community or junior college.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    And let's keep in mind you can get a first rate music education in the military, and a pretty rounded one at that.
    veery

9. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Now I will definately second that. However, getting into a military musical organization is not a run through the park! Tryouts are competitive and brutal.

10. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I too wondered about this question. I'm in my junior year of high school and it recently came to notice that my grades SUCK!!!! I've never been a good student. I've always known the material but I'm too lazy to put it all on paper.
    I have a 2.3, is it too late for me? My parents say it is and they were honor roll students.
    I really don't know anymore. My currently plan is to join the military and be in their music programs.
    I really want to do the Marines "Commandant's Own" because I love drum corps and I have friends that march with them.
    What branch has the best music program?
    Even if my grades sucked in high school, will the military pay for my college education?
    I really want to be a band director. It's my dream to spread the joy of music to children, because they are the future of this fine art.