Grades...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Get good grades.

I didn't get to go to my top choice for my masters because of my grades. I didn't think it would matter so much, but I was wrong.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Kudos to you for considering the military. You will learn discipline, serve your country, and gain life experience while earning money for college. Just keep in mind that there are very few band positions in the service and LOTS of candidates. Recruiters will tell you pretty much what you want to hear, so unless you have something in writing, you probably won't be part of a military band for several years into your comittment. When you're done with the service you'll still have to go to school and complete your education, but a good service record is a GREAT thing to have on a resume.

You do have other options. Improve your grades now. Right now. turn yourself into an A student. Enroll in a state college and become an A student there and transfer to a bigger school if you desire. If you seriously want to become a teacher then you have to start taking education seriously. You have to learn classroom management, curriculum development, etc, so you won't be successful if you don't stay on top of your grades.

Good luck...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that it is tough to get decent grades if you are paying attention and applying yourself. Success is normally a trait that can be applied to many different parts of life. If we get used to calculating how much we can get away with, it will backfire. The current financial situation in the world is perfect proof of this!

Give your best - ALWAYS - that really pays dividends!

4. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Son, you have heard much todo regarding educational philosophy. You have three choices: 1) Apply yourself and get the grades to get into college, get your degree in whatever discipline suits you, and be as successful as you can; 2) "Skate" through high school, "try" to find a job at McDonald's, play video games when you come home at night, work pay check to pay check; or 3) (This is reaching for the sky) Become VERY proficient on the trumpet and become a world reknown musician.

Your best bet is option #1.

5. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    yeah

6. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Realistically, you're probably screwed in the short term. A gentleman's C doesn't do much for you any more. My older granddaughter is also a junior in high school. Right now, you've got two major tests coming up. Bone up for those. You need grades, scores, money, connections, or some unique factor to get into a good college. Best bet is to try to do as well on SAT, etc., as possible, then bust your hump to bring your grades up as much as possible by graduation. In addition to state colleges, you might look into JC's; just be sure their credits are transferable to the college you want to attend later. A year, possibly two, of JC could get you into a decent school if you work hard at it.
    As far as the military option goes, kudos, but to be realistic: the performing groups you might find interesting are tough to get into, very competitive, and very demanding. They're also rife with cliques, so connections help (my daughter's first husband was with the band at West Point). It would be pretty tough to break into a top group fresh out of high school. Get the grades up first, and maybe some college, before enlisting. You've got time, but it's definitely time to get serious about it.

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    Well I don't expect to be in a reknown military band.
    Isn't there smaller ones for normal ceremonies?

8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    At my age and with all the base closures around here, I don't have any idea what the various posts have for bands any more. I'd assume any major base would have a band, possibly even a dance band or two, but that's a guess. Even so, don't expect it to be easy to break into one.
    By the way: if you want to be a band director, don't forget that in addition to your music education, you'll want to get credentials in the education field as well - elementary and/or music ed. Being a performance major is great (my daughter was a performance major in oboe), but you'll have better luck if you add the ed credentials to it.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You still have to audition to get in. Your sight reading has to be good too. Don't think that the military will take just anybody. The bands have always been pretty good!

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Hopefully someone here will be able to answer with authority, but I don't think there are many bands other than the large ones you'll see during larger ceremonies. They're even using civilians to play Taps and other bugle calls during military services, so the competition for a limited number of spots will be great (again, more about who you know than what you know).

Again, unless you have a specific deal in writing when you enlist, you're going in as a regular Joe, so any opportunities to join any band or group will be based on seniority, and any connections you can make.