Grades...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 25, 2009.

1. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona

2. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    You might be surprised to know how often it happens that the identity of the person playing behind the screen is obvious - at least when it's the person who has an "in" on the job. Some times, it's because someone on the audition committee called them about the job and knows their sound. Other times, there are enough familiar players in the herd that their sound is easy to recognize. Yes, it does happen that occasionally an audition is truly blind - especially when it's for a back-in-the-pack position in a larger section. But it doesn't begin to happen often enough. DAMHIKT

3. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    With a 2.3, you are not likely to get into a 4 year university. However, you can probably get into a community or junior college, build up a good GPA (it sounds like all you need to do is try a bit harder with academics) and then you ought to be able to transfer schools. Once you are in college, getting into a nicer school is much easier.
    The military will help your music a lot, and they will pay for your college if you meet their requirements (usually 4 years of service). Best of all, if you get into their music programs, you'll be amazing by the time you leave, and you won't have to risk your life (I don't think so at least).
    Without regard to personal biases, either path will get you into a college, but going into the military will make it free, give you a great musical education, and you can save all the money you will be making since the military will pay for all necessities.
    Please take my opinion as a grain of salt, it's just food for thought.

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    i currently have a 2.8, with an f in math... i know i can get it up... especially if i can get that math grade up, is this a good gpa, i took the psat, and did pretty good, so maybe ill be able to get into a nice college, considering i focus on school and trumpet...

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    For all the high school juniors out there worrying about getting into college with bad grades, here's the acid test: look in your mailbox. Right about now, you should be receiving one, two, or more letters or flyers from good colleges every day. To count, they should be colleges with solid course offerings in the subjects which are most important to you, not the hungrier schools which send something to every member of the graduating class. If you're not being smothered by these things by now, you're off the radar and you've got your work cut out for you.

6. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    You know, I can't remember what my high school GPA was, but it wasn't top notch. Look into a Division II university first--I got my bachelor's from a small school, but one that had a KILLER trumpet teacher (an gentleman about 50 who just finished his DMA from UNT, and has numerous professional credits to his name) and so I got out with a smaller cost, but a great trumpet education that got me into TCU for my Masters--which I hope, will in turn lead me to an even bigger place for my DMA. All is not lost yet. But for your undergrad, do as well as you can--I scraped by with a 3.08-and most masters programs want at least a 3.0.

7. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    This thread worries me some. It seems the feeling is, I'm going into music, I don't need to be too smart. It goes back to music not getting the respect it deserves in our schools today. With all the emphasis on the standardized tests, music takes a back seat more than it used to. The best music schools are run like any other college. You apply academically, then audition for them. Their feeling is if you're a good student with good work habits you are someone willing to work. Which translates into practice and being prepared for rehearsals. I didn't always have the best grades. In retrospect I wish that I had. School would have been easier for me. Good luck with your next few years.
    Bob

8. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Spirit,

No one program is better than the other, they all serve their own purpose and have their own pros and cons. Most of the military musicians that I know where professional musicians with formal training long before they decided to join the military. When you audition, you will audition for the music program for the branch you are interested in enlisting in... provided you pass all the enlistment requirments for that branch and then depending on how well you do, they will place you where you are needed, you get some input on this, but once you sign the paperwork you become "needs of the military" and they use you where they need you. I don't know about the audition process for the rest of the branchs but I can speak to the Navy pretty well, and chances are the other branches are pretty close. The audition is intense. I can tell you for the most part the military is not looking for college entry level musicians. They want you to be able to play pretty well already and prior experience is extremely valued. The school is intense and they cram alot of material into a short time, so they don't want to have to teach you from scratch. Below is the audition requirments for the Navy on wind instruments. There are immediate openings for trumpet currently. I will also provide you the link to the Navy music page so you can read this stuff for yourself. Enjoy! :play:

Wind Instrument Audition Requirements
    1. Prepared solo(s) (applicant’s choice), demonstrating both technical and lyrical proficiency. Solo(s) selected should be at least Grade IV difficulty and be considered part of the standard repertoire for that instrument.
    2. Scales (two octaves or more where possible): randomly selected major and minor scales (natural, harmonic and melodic forms of minor). Triad Arpeggios required.
    3. Sight reading of standard marches and etudes, as well as wind ensemble and jazz ensemble literature (where applicable).

Music opportunities in the Navy

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    While I'm thinking about it, colleges look at you as a whole person and just a number on a grade sheet... GPA's and SAT/ACT scores are important, but they won't get you in or keep you out of a college on their own. Colleges want diverse well rounded individuals attending their schools. If you have a 2.3 but are a member of several organizations, don't have a criminal record score above the schools minimum on the SAT and don't blow your audition/interview... chances are good you are getting into the school. I got into VCU, JMU and George Mason with a 2.7 and an SAT of 1070.

10. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    There's another consideration which is heavily influenced by grades and scores: scholarships. Yes, they are also heavily influenced by auditions. I was very lucky - my daughter won a full (tuition and books) scholarship which was awarded by the music department. You might blow them away on audition, but you've got to get that far, and you've also got to compete with a lot of people who have very good grades as well as ability.