Gradually increasing use of smaller trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, May 13, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    I've read that high Bb/A trumpets were once considered gimmicks. I'm assuming Maurice Andre's playing had an impact on those opinions. Were there any key players in America who popularised the use of these trumpets?

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sorry to jump in before Manny...........
    Long before Andre, players in America's orchestras used higher horns. When I attended Philadelphia Orchestra concerts in the fifties, Sam Krauss seemed to play every horn except the Bb trumpet. Vacchiano, Mager, Caston and many others were playing higher pitched trumpets.
    Andre's contribution, along with Wobisch, Scherbaum and many others, was bringing the trumpet to the front of the orchestra. Scherbaum was probably THE pioneer high trumpet player. Before him, there was no one playing trumpet concerti with orchestras.
    Wilmer

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The first player of any repute that I was made aware of that used the piccolo trumpet was Benny Baker who actually played the Brandenburg Concerto with Toscanini. Benny Baker was a huge free lance player who was asked, in the early relationship of the maestro and NBC, to play the piece. I think Glantz wanted no part of it.

I heard a recording of it at the home of Arthur Statter who played extra with NBC. It was very good although todays players would likely scoff because he took some parts of it down an octave but the performance was lovely nonetheless. I'm not aware of an American players playing the piccolo before that in any major venue.

ML

4. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    That performance used to be available on this CD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0600677-7099622

This CD was never released in the USA because of copyright issues with NBC, and appears to now be out of print even internationally. These were however available here in Mexico rather inexpensively, and I picked the ones I could find, including this one. The Brandenburg is interesting to say the least, and is probably one of the first American performances on trumpet. There were others using a horn or even soprano saxophone! Also in this series is a nice Schuman 2 with some interesting re-writing of the trumpet part, and an exciting Heldenleben.

JU

5. trptcolin

trptcolin New Friend

Nov 6, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Great info---I'd not heard of Benny Baker before, I'm sorry to say.

I hesitate to state the obvious, _TrumpeT_, but if you're just asking about players IN America (not necessarily American citizens) helping to popularize the piccolo trumpet, Fred Mills is somebody to think about. I never had the good fortune to hear the Canadian Brass live when he was playing with them, but he says eventually his shows became something like 75% on piccolo trumpet. I know he was the first guy I heard play the piccolo really beautifully.

Colin

6. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
  7. cleanhead77

cleanhead77 New Friend

Nov 24, 2005
    Central Florida
    There is a legend that Cootie Williams auditioned to play the Brandenberg and cut it, but was advised not to do it because it would hurt his jazz image. This was back around 1940 (?) or so. So, he didn't do it. Anybody have any comments on this?

Bill Barnes

PS: My first teacher was Benny Baker, but you'd never know it. He also sold me a nice King Sterling Master Model cornet.

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    You're kidding.
    Wilmer

9. cleanhead77

cleanhead77 New Friend

Nov 24, 2005
    Central Florida
    Hi Wiseone:
    A legend is just that - a legend.The legend goes further to claim he did it on his regular Bb ! And King Arthur slew drogons ! However if your comment addresses the fact I had lessons with Benny Baker I can understand your incredulity. :-)
    Bill Barnes

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Maurice Murphy of the LSO did it on the large Bb!

Check with the Brits on the forum. I've heard that confirmed by a number of "brothers across the pond".

ML