Grafting a new valve casing thread

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jan 17, 2012.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have put up a pictorial blog on a recent repair job - grafting a new bottom thread to a valve casing. It is located at:
    ivan?s blog

This is a new location for my blog - within my regular site; I have moved it because Apple are discontinuing their Mobile Me hosting. Those of you who take an rss feed of my blog will discover that it will not pull this new entry in. Unfortunately you will have to connect to the new rss feed on the blog page. I am sorry for the inconvenience - Apple is not my favorite company at the moment.

I hope you enjoy the pictures:-)

2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Very nice work, and interesting!

How did you cut the damaged section off (while keeping the cut square and true)? And, that solder looks pretty close to the thread, did you have any heat distortion to the threads? And it looks like the solder is kind of bulging out (as it would naturally do, being molten metal). Did that interfere with the bottom cap seating normally, and did you have to smooth (file) that down flush? And, do you think brazing would have been better, or would that have been too much heat? And, how close to the id of the casing did you machine that jig? And how tight did you thread that jig...hand tight, or a little wrench tightening?

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I can answer that one, he is Ivan Hunter, a great trumpet repairman and maker!

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Oh, I see....And, you're his agent/publicist....nice.;-)

codyb226 likes this.
  5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Great job. Is there a reason you didn't countersink the new threads in to the casing for added stability? I realize how much more time it would have taken to do that.
    Neat jobs like this one are the thng that makes repairing a rewarding career.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BEAUTIFUL. I had always wondered how you guys fixed stuff like that - never had one of my horns in a train wreck.

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Very impressive!

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Very nice! Impressive, I have wondered if this could be done.

9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Interesting post Ivan...

What did you charge for this job....was it worth the time and equipment costs you have into it??

What caught my eye was that you were doing this to a 20+ year old Yamaha 6445... and in that condition it is not a $x,xxx horn. Maybe mid 3 digits.
    It seems like this kind of repair would come close to costing the same as replacing the horn. I also noticed the bell looks different... did you also replace the bell? That 1st slide bell brace looks different. A horn that age may also need a valve job!

My yammy is #001051... close to the same age as your example. I paid $700 for mine.

If you think about it... at what point is a horn "totaled". Not that it is un-repairable, just uneconomical to repair. How much should a guy pay to repair a $500 horn?]

PS...
    How the heck did this guy tear a chunk out of his valve casing??

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I filed the threaded section down flat...carefully!

The thread is relieved before the new section meets the casing (this is also the case on all trumpets - the thread doesn't go all the way to the casing proper.

To braise the new section on would have heated the cluster too much and the soft soldered joints, like the bell tail, would have let go.

The jig was nipped up hand tight only - there needs to be space for the solder to flow into the joint.