Grafting a new valve casing thread

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Jan 17, 2012.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. If it lets go in the future, nothing is lost. I could then machine a couple of keyways to give extra lateral support.

2. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    My charge for the job in no way covered the planning and execution. A bit of a labor of love. The owner is one of my "meta-clients". His loyalty to me is worth a bit of a loss now and then.

This is what I mean by "meta-client":
    ivan?s blog

I also fitted a Strad 239 bell to this horn.

The damage was done to the horn when my guy bought it (in the hope that I could sort it out).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Ivan, if I had to have this done. Ballpark, what would it cost? Not that it needs it or anything but one of my bottom caps get kinda stuck and bent sometime.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Stuck and bent threads are an easy fix with the right tool. It is nothing like the extensive work done here.
    Stuck caps and bent threads can be as quick as a few taps with a mallet, or chasing the threads with a thread chaser.

5. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Yes, exactly.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I like my valves Straight, no Chaser.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Yeah, I understand what you are saying Ivan!

This is the kind of job no one would actually do (especially on a horn of this value) if they had to pay what it really cost to do.
    You would just make it round again, chase the threads and leave the missing chunk.

I am curious how he likes the bach bell. I was thinking a 72* bell would be great on my 6445.

8. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Looks kinda tedious...

Nice work!

Kujo

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    It's great that Ivan shared the process here. I have a feeling this sort of repair is needed more than we'd like to believe. Mark Metzler did a similar repair a few years ago on a beautiful little engraved A. Hall Gisborne cornet I bought. In that case, one of the threaded sections of a top casing had obviously failed and been sloppily repaired in the past, making the cap extremely difficult to remove or install. I think some times the good techs go the extra mile on these nasty little jobs out of pride in their abilities. Ivan certainly proved his with this job.

10. JDay

JDay Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    That is very well executed. I doubt it will ever 'let go'. If something were to ever happen though I did see this on Dan Oberloh's website.

Uncommon and Complicated Repairs

Yet another incredible job by a very good repair tech. Perhaps another option if the previous fix were to ever have an issue?

The repairs you guys can do is simply amazing.