greasing trumpet slides???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lpuppy79, Feb 20, 2010.

1. lpuppy79

lpuppy79 New Friend

Feb 20, 2010
    is there any way to do it that's really effective and efficient.

i use this way: put the grease on the slide. put the slide into the "socket" and turn/spin it in the "socket". then take the stuff that was scraped of put it back on the slide and repeat. i do this untill it is nice and smooth.

is there any way to get them smoother faster?

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Sounds right to me, just clean first, then strip and put back together.

I sparingly use vaseline for the slides and caps. This apparent can be an issue where caps can get vaseline into valve movements. I have never had this problem, but I do clean often.

There is a slide grease made for the purpose. The slides eventually do get very smooth so keep cleaning and re-greasing.

3. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    that sounds about right. just apply slide grease sparingly, it can be a pain if it works it's way into the valve casing.

I use selmer "pink" slide grease, nice smooth movement, and the bottle lasts FOREVER!!!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anhydrous Lanolin from the drugstore. Cheap, efficient, slick. Clean first (ALWAYS clean first)then apply.

5. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    A mixture of petrolatum (vaseline) and lanolin, sold as Aquaphor brand, works great. I used to use Vaseline, but when it gets cold it can get stiff. This product is cheap (for the amount you get), and lasts a long time.

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Same stuff also sold as Bag Balm, great for your herd's teats as well as your slides. Sold at Walgreens. Last forever.

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If you are a "boaty", spray Lanoline called Lanoleen (I think) is available for outboard motor protection and works really well. Just hold the slide in a paper towel and spray lightly away from the laquered or plated parts - stick in trumpet. A couple of things - clean first, spray lightly and flip your hand over to do the other side. Very thin even finish. A little valve oil on the 3rd valve slide does wonders, too.