greasy fingerprint removal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I use Turtle Wax and Polish. I figure that the polish and waxes used on automobile coatings that are a Clear over Base Coat, or a Clear coat top coat, then they have to be delicate but effective. I have used Brasso before, but don't anymore after I read on this forum about what ammonia does to brass.
    The wax works well and lasts a reasonable amount of time.

Just look at a good quality Car Polish when they are on Sale - check those Sunday newspapers for the sales. Last you for years.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Actually I just checked what I have and I am using Nu-Finish Car Polish - but it was cheaper than this...just wait for the sales, and anything similar will be OK.
    NU Finish Liquid CAR Polish 473ml NF76 | eBay

I am using Turtle Wax as a final coat if required.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The Yamaha polish certainly will be good, until it arrives you could try wiping with a cloth moistened with white vinegar, wash well after, dry and use some furniture polish or wax, Mr Sheen is readily available, spray on a cloth and wipe on thinly.

Regards, Stuart.

4. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I agree, looks as if you've some lacquer missing there. Listen to the pros. It's going to wear off regardless, gives it some character. If it were a piston, you could see if the lacquer comes off with hot water, but if you want it stripped completely, take it to a tech.

5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I do have linseed polishing oil for furniture.
    It smells funny

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Great thread, human power has no limits.

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Ketchup! Works! That's definitely raw brass

8. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    If the prints have eaten through the original lacquer to the raw brass, you might just want to consider having the horn stripped and relacquered rather than trying stop-gap measures. If you do that, take it to a shop that specalizes in musical instruments, not just some shop that says they can spray lacquer.

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I can't see from pics but it really looks like the whole horn is raw. Polish it up with whatever and definitely wax with auto wax it works. BBM those pics of the B47 are after ketchup and turtle wax, that bell looked much like the rest of the horn except bluer because of the rose brass

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Do not use Linseed oil, it will remain sticky for years, it does not soak in on brass as it will on wood. Repco stores have a large range of car polishes, Bunnings and Woolworths supermarkets may have some.

Regards, Stuart.