Great Australian trumpeters

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jwilliamson, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Jwilliamson

Jwilliamson Pianissimo User

May 18, 2010
    Australia
    Being an Aussie, i am quite interested in who the rest of the world - or Australians, consider to be the top Australian trumpeters - in all settings - orchestral, jazz, commercial, soloists etc. So - add to this list of a couple of my favourite guys o listen to -

Scott Tinkler - jazz
    David Elton - Sydney Symphony principal trumpet
    Don Rader - ex-American jazz player
    John Foster - director of Australian Baroque Brass and exquisite natural trumpeter

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Blasphemy... How can you NOT list James Morrison. He IS the greatest PERIOD.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    He'd a starring role on Nigerian television this week presenting Top Gear Australia :shock:

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    EXACTLY!!! Then there's Ted, Peter, TJ, Bumblebee, Stumac and many more but it's too early to think that much.

5. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    2X re: Great Australian trumpeters

Doc's got that one!

6. Jwilliamson

Jwilliamson Pianissimo User

May 18, 2010
    Australia
    Ok back to the topic. Who else? Besides James. Yes he is excellent, incredible actually, but he is also quite famous here. There are other guys who are just as good. Tinkler for example blows him out of the water with his complex harmonic approach.

7. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Brian Mcguiness

He plays at the opera house, did work for broadway, does master classes, has many championships won etc. He is also my teacher, and i can say hes awesome.

8. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    For beautiful sound and tasteful interpretation I'd add Bob Venier. He played flugel on Little River Band's Reminiscing.

For an up and comer, Mick Fraser.There's a video getting around with him, James Morrison and Greg Spence (another nminee). I met Mick when I bought my Studio from him.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    LRB was one of my favorite bands ever. That is one of my favorite flugel solos ever.

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Mr. Patterson lives there I think?

My mistake he's in NZ....