Great Concert over the weekend

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, May 1, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    What a concert!

I had the privilege this past weekend of being involved with the music program for the High School Band Directors National Association Hall of Fame Induction ceremonies their website is http://www.hsbdna.com for anyone interested.

This was very cool in that my community band was chosen in place of the normal musicians that are put together for this. We were guest conducted by the honorees so we had 7 conductors, including our own, over the course of the concert.

We played:

Prelude to a Concert William Clayton Miller
    The Star Spangled Banner Francis Scott Key arr. Henry Fillmore
    (Trumpeting Arrangement)
    Storm King Walter Finlayson
    Danny Boy Arr. Warren Barker
    British Eighth Z.O. Elliott/arr. Luckhardt
    America, The Beautiful Samuel Augustus Ward arr. Carmen Dragon
    Gate City arr. Forrest L. Buchtel
    Battle Hymn of the Republic Steffe/ arr. Carmen Dragon
    Semper Fidelis March John Phillip Sousa
    Broadway Show Stoppers Overture arr. Warren Barker
    The Blues W.C. Handy arr. Rober M. Barr

This was just great. The conductors ranged wildly in style from our own conductor Dr. George Corradino who is just great, to Ret. Col Hal Gibson United States Armed Forces Bicentennial Band who was without question the greatest conductor I’ve every performed under, to some of the other inductees who conducted with so much expression that they closely resembled Mickey Mouse in Fantasia!

It was just a fascinating experience and one that I’ll carry with me for a lifetime.

I also had a chance to get this performance on video tape and I’m glad that I did. The acoustics of the room we were in was just fantastic. It was great to hear what the rest of the band and I sounded like from the other side of the conductor’s baton.

This tape will serve me well as an aid to further my own development as a player as well as becoming a wonderful keepsake.

The only part of the concert that I was not overly pleased with was when we did Semper Fidelis. I don’t know if John Phillip Sousa liked or hated his 3thd Cornet players but this piece has all the Trumpet/Cornet leads in the third part. We have three third trumpet players including myself in the band. Only two of us were there including me. The other player is a wonderful man whom I respect deeply but sadly the years have taken his wind from him and although he plays technically correct usually only I can hear him. This left me to belt out the leads in this piece.

Sadly the rest of the band playing at fff covered me up most of the time so the leads didn’t sound as good on the video as I had hoped for. I was happy though that I had managed to get a few of them over the top of the band.

This was a first for me also in that we had a dress rehearsal at 2:00PM with all the guest conductors and then the performance started at 4:00PM. Well, we rehearsed until 3:45PM so that left 15 minutes to recouped our chops and then get after it.

My chops were ground beef by the end of the performance.

God it was fun!

To all you band directors out there; you’re a wonderful group of people. How I enjoyed this performance. And hope to do something like it again in the future.

Just thought I’d share this.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey John!

Sounds great!

I'd like to see the video.
    Can you send me a copy? or just bring yours when you come to Detroit again!

Thanks,

-cw-

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Anything for you Mr. Willard! :D

If it gives me a chance to play with you it was well worth it! :cool:

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Maybe he'll let you try his new trumpet. :D

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'm hoping! :-)

After re-thinking my comments though I think I'd be re-miss if I did not say that I'm really not on the same page with Chuck as a player, but it sure would be a treat to hear him play and attempt to play with him! :worthy:

6. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Congrats! Sounds like a BLAST!
    :-)

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Glad you had a great experience John. Good job. (and next time you go to Detroit, I am coming with you....I want to get my hands on Chuck's new toy!) ;-)

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks everyone!

Alex it would be a pleasure to have you along for sure.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    John, it's a blast when things go right, isn't it? Congrats on what sounds like a great day.

Our Community Band also had a great concert this past Saturday.

Program included:

National Anthem (Lavelle, Arr. Cable)
    Flourish for Winds (Vaughn Williams)
    Wind in the Willows (de Meij)
    The River
    Ratty and Mole
    Mr. Toad
    The Return of Ulysses
    Concertpiece for Clarinet, Winds and Percussion (Curnow, Margaret Mezei soloist)

Incantation and Dance (Barnes Chance)
    Concertino for Clarinet (CM v Weber, Margaret Mezei soloist)
    Cole Porter on Broadway (Arr. Barker)
    Festivo (Nelhybel)
    The Barber of Seville Overture (Rossini, Arr. Duthoit)
    Royal Canadian Mounted Police Regimental March (O'Neill, Arr. Robb)

Ms. Mezei is an amazing clarinetist: B. Mus. WSU (cum laude) and M.M. MSU in performance and pedagogy. She serves as clarinet/saxophone instructor at the Univeristy of Lethbridge Consevatory as well as studio coordinator and Director of the Conservatory. If you think her last name is familiar but just can't figure out why, check out the "up and comers" in the junior ranks of the professional golf world.

The band performed exceptionally well (I guess we got tired of leaving our best in the practice hall) and there were no train wrecks (not even a dented fender!

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ed that's fantastic.....

I am happy for you in kind..

Your right when things go well it's all roses! :-)

I found out at rehersal last night that the performance was recorded and is being professionally mastered. We made a CD and didn't even know it!

So I'm now a recording artist! :-P

When it's availiable I'll pass it around to those who may have interest.

Needless to say I'm geeked... To all those folks back home in Michigan who told me I'd never amount to anything... Na na na na na na :bleah:

Works for me... :thumbsup: