Great concert tonight

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by B15M, Feb 4, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I got home a little while ago from playing a concert that went really well. I play principal trumpet with a Union band and we did a pops concert tonight.

We played in an old auditorium am guessing that it was state of the art in about 1930.
    There were huge crown moldings with dental and chandeliers for lights. The hall was a little run down but the sound was great.

I was really relaxed playing. I didn't have to push all night. I Could hear my sound bouncing back from the back of the hall. The conductor never asked for more and I never had to push. It was just a great experience all around.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, Joe,

I'm tellin' ya...

... it's the TM vibe. Anyone who hangs out here just has to get used to playing better whether they want to!

ML

3. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Congratulations on the great playing experience!

I also had a nice series of concerts this weekend. You mentioned that you played in a hall that might have been state-of-the-art in 1930 and so I thought I'd tell you about the fabulous, modern, state-of-the-art hall I got to try out on Saturday night. I play with the Orchestra at Temple Square in Salt Lake City which is the orchestra that plays with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. This weekend the choir and orchestra were in Las Angeles CA as featured guests of the ACDA (American Choral Director's Association) Festival. We had the opportunity to play in the Walt Disney Concert Hall and it is to date the best room I've ever performed in. The acoustics are such that you can hear each and every voice in the choir and orchestra with astonishing clarity. I've never been in a hall where section blend and good intonation were so easy to achieve. In addtion to the superior acoustics, the hall is also very beautiful and interesting to look at. The stage is light hard wood with 4 or 5 tiers, the organ pipes are bent downward, pointing in various directions in a random and yet beautiful fashion, and the moderate audience seating (about 2500 seats I would guess) is arranged in such a way that even the cheap seats don't seem to be too far away from the performers. I would highly recommend playing there or at least touring the building next time you're in L.A.

Kevin