Great flugelhorn CDs?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jun 19, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Can anyone suggest some CDs on which I can hear good jazz flugelhorning? I'm getting interested and saving up for a flugel, and I'm hoping to hear more of it. So far, Clark Terry is my fav but I haven't really heard much. Ideas?

Turtle

2. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    You can't go wrong with Clark Terry, but here's what got me hooked on flugelhorn many years ago. Try some old Four Freshmen cd's from the 50's, 60's and early 70's (if you can find them). Ken Albers does some gorgeous solos and had the most amazing sound on flugel. Another to consider: Blue Mitchell. There's lots of good stuff out there. Good luck!

Steve

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Steve,

I'll look for those names ... all new to me. Great, thanks!!!

Turtle

4. MAZ

MAZ Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2007
  5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm not absolutely certain, but I believe Mark Isham is playing either a flugelhorn or "flumpet" in his album "Bittersweet" (with Kate Ceberano), even though he's shown with a trumpet in the "music video" parts of this youtube interview:

YouTube - ‪Mark Isham + Kate Ceberano - "Bittersweet" EPK‬‏

At 1:05 you can see the flugelhorn...

It's a great album which took me some time to track down the name of when my wife had heard part of it on the radio.

--bumblebee

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Bumblebee,

Cool video.... Sounds different than a trumpet, flumpet? But, WOW, what a gorgeous voice that singer has. Is she Australian? That's a name to remember, Kate Ceberano.

And MAZ, :welcome: to the forumn! That's nice from Roy Hargrove. Gotta look for more of that.

Turtle

7. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Don't forget Art Farmer and Thad Jones. Both did quite a lot of flugel work.

8. teacherchops

teacherchops New Friend

Jul 15, 2007
    Charlottetown, P.E.I.
    Anything by Guido Basso.

9. Scatmanblues

Scatmanblues Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2010
    West Texas
    Bobby Shew does some great flugel work. I'm blanking on a specific album, but when I saw him live his flugel work blew me away.

Scatmanblues