Great players and bad habits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Towo, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Towo

Towo New Friend

Jul 3, 2011

Great post, although I'm about a year short of learning how to drive;-). This post wasn't actually about me, I listen to everything my band director tells since he's been playing trumpet long than I've even been alive, the aim of this post was about arrogant players that think they're the better than Bud Herseth because of a pinkie. If you read the comments of any youtube video show casing a famous trumpet player, you're bound to find least 15 idiots criticizing them because that player plays slightly differently than they were taught. That kind of closemindedness was more what I meant.

2. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Towo,
    I think it's great that you have discovered that making good music is what it's all about! It's good to see young players searching and thinking about their instrument and music making, and not totally focused on 'higher, louder, faster'. Just be careful that you don't use it as an excuse for not taking care of the fundamentals as you develop as a player.
    All the best,
    AK

3. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Good stuff, Adrian.

Comment reserved about someone else's pedagogy.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    this is really a great thread ...
    Robin's comments always solid .... loved the ice block.. too funny .. I would send my son to him for lessons just for the analogies alone
    The forums are really hard to size up where someone is coming from.. weither it's some disgruntled kid who is seeking validation or an honest inquiry.
    Just don't want to see us chase away the open minded ones who ask the touchy questions...
    but great answers from all ... which is why I dig this forum

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    +1 on the Rowuk ice block story. ".... thaw time to think about the consequences."

Funny!!!

Turtle