Greatest Hits - Trumpet: Not so great to my ears

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Feb 10, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hello everyone,

First off let me just say that there is some real good stuff on here. It is a cd that combines some of the more classic rep. for trumpet including Haydn (mv't III) and Hummel (mv'ts II and III). Wynton is amazing as always, Mark Gould (I love you man).

I just borrowed this cd from our music library at school and I must say there is some interesting stuff on it but genrally I hear some sub-par stuff (as far as these guys go). Don't get me wrong, these guys are all great players and they do sound amazing but I keep hearing little things like ever so subtle miss-pitching or just making a high note. To name a few, The New England Brass ensemble "Trumpet Tune" and "Prince of Denmark's March" - I find the piccolo to be pretty shrill and the attacks are pretty harsh.

I really didn't want to go here but even the London Symphony Orch's rendition of "Buglar's Holiday" - It's hard to make out but are the very first notes hard to make out the double tonging? (da-daga da da) :lol:
    I am forced to assume that it was a coulpe guest players.

I could just have too much time on my hands and I am actually spending my first hour of my own scheduled practice time listening today (I still have two hours later on though so I think I'm safe)

This is the cd I was talking about
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002AVK/002-2346327-4119229?v=glance&n=5174

If anyone else has listened to this album (I mean really listening) and has an opinion please share your input.

Once again I am in no way trying to put this album down, I am just sharing with you my criticism from one trumpet player to all of you. (For the most part it sounds good - it's just I find it surprising that some of this stuff shares a CD with the likes of Wynton and Gould).

is there a way to post mp3 examples on these forums? I don't think I've ever seen someone do it. Boy howdy, that would be cool.

Peace
    Eric

2. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I think the flaw that you hear in the Bugler's is a recording glitch. At least that is what it seems from the sample. Not enough lead time before the tune starts.

Trumpet Voluntary to me is slightly out of tune (give 'em a break the organ is the main problem) and the two trumpets don't match tone (another recording flaw) but harsh attacks? Oh I heard one. Big deal.

People these days are too used to flawless recordings. Go hear some live playing. Try recording yourself and see what you get. The trumpet playing on this recording is excellent.

3. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    You're saying something that I've found myself asking myself a lot on compilation CDs. I listened to the sound clips on Amazon.com (they give nice big chunks of the "Trumpet Tune" and "Prince of Denmark's March.") I agree with you. The playing seems pretty heavy handed to me. This may have been on purpose to try to capture a kind of martial/march feel to the music. :dontknow:

Not my favorite recordings, but I decided a while ago that I would try to find things to learn from even in performances that I don't care for. Even if I don't care for the tone/articulation/etc there might be other things worth learning from or emulating like phrasing or tempo.

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    That Bugler's Holiday recording sounds very boomy to me..almost like either the studio was very alive or it was a live recording. The orchestra seems to be a bit out of sync in places and that makes me think that it may actually be live.

On a more positive note the sample of the Mouret Rondeau with Gerard Schwarz playing is exquisite. You could cut off one of my legs if I could sound like that...

Regards,

Trevor

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I have no problems if any of these are live performances, I agree that it is impossible to have a flawless, perfect performance,

In a recording environment however, you would think that a little more attention to detail is expected.

I appriciate your comments and that I was't just hearing things

Eric

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Eric,

I think I know where you are coming from because as your ears grow you will get to the point were you start to notice lots of little things here or there in recordings. It will be to the point of where you “hear it†better than the recording. That doesn’t mean we are passing a value judgment on a persons playing or think we can play it better, we just heard in our heads better than it was on the recording.

It has been a while since I have listened to the CD you mention but I do remember the London low brass sounding outstanding on Also Sprach.

7. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Thanks man, although I am not saying that I would do a better job than any of these guys. :lol: :lol:

E.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I have this album and I have listened to it a lot and never noticed the stuff you are talking about. THANKS, NOW I DO! Only kidding.

I think what you have to listen for is the music. Everybody makes mistakes even in recordings. Personally I would rather hear a more live version than a sterile cut and paste version. I think a movement should be played through. If it didn't come out right record it again.

As was said before, your ears are getting to the point where you will notice this stuff, don't let it ruin the music for you.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hmm.... I've had that CD in my library for several years now. I never noticed the "less than perfect moments" once in all the times I listened to it but rather put that sort of thing down to "different individuals are going to play the same thing slightly differently". Without those variations in both interpretation AND technique, then all music would start to sound rather bland, imo. An outright and obvious mistake I can understand someone commenting on; but I don't believe those are mistakes.

I'm in full agreement with B15M... don't get wrapped up in criticism to the point where you don't listen to the MUSIC. I've known a band director who, when I asked what he listened to in his spare time, replied "I don't listen to anything because all I can hear is mistakes". I think that's a pretty sad commentary. I agree that the more experience with music (especially of a certain type) that you have (either listening and/or playing) then the more easily you will find what could be interpretted as "mistakes". When that starts to happen then I think it's time to start listening to a different genre of music for a while.

If you "look for mistakes" then you can find them. If you "look for the music", then you can find that too. Don't let the first spoil the second.

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I am glad to hear all your responces on my post. Mind you, I have been listening to jazz and latin stuff for a while and this was the first classical ablum I went back to in a couple months, actually. For that particular listening session I was just trying to listen to the individual players (Their sounds, technique etc) not specifically the musicical message being portrayed.

As you all seem to agree with and I'll take you word on it, my ears are becoming more open to the finer deatils. For this reason I find myself listening to one thing at a time. For example, I will focus in on one soloist in a sitting then I will sit back a listen to the music being played as a whole and see where that soloist ties in to the group (or I might do it in reverse). Does this sound like a good path to take towards "active listening"?

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will certainly not let this discourage me from listening to music. I actually made a copy of this album and am listening to it right now (not looking for mistakes) ;-)

I love this forum
    Eric