Greatest Hits - Trumpet: Not so great to my ears

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Feb 10, 2006.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Recording yourself helps a lot, especially if you can find away to get a pretty good representation sound wise.

For me my ears started taking off when I began studying with orchestral players, the good ones hear/listen on a plane that most of us don’t get. When I really started trying to get into the fine details of my own playing my ears really opened up.

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I just wonder something... I have had this thought for a long time, and this briongs it back to the front of my mind. What do CD companies/producers do with the takes that are rejected in the production stage for whatever reason? Do they still use them to save throwing the money from studio time in the "garbage" or "cut-pile" or do they re-distribute them as bargain-bin labels and "best of..." compilations? (Provided there are no major problems with the performance, of course).

Given that we are all human, all miss notes or screw up an entrance at one point or another, have brain freeze and transpose wrong or miss a tempo change, clank a button or drop a mute during an intimate passage, it seems bound to happen in a session. Especially with larger groups and repeated takes. What happens to those takes? Is this something that is negotiated as part of the recording contract? Or, do they just trash them?

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Nowadays they probably just press the "DELETE" button on everything left over once they've put together the mix and cuts that they want.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    A CD with a "Special Features" track. How the CD was made, interviews and out takes. That would be cool.

-cw-

5. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    I agree, that would be cool. It might be tough to convince the marketing people at big companies to go along with it, though. I bet they wouldn't want to draw attention to just how human (i.e. imperfect) the musicians they record actually are.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I had a tape with the "outake" from Bunny Berigan's "I Can't Get Started"
    It was the take before the one they used as the commercial release. Bunny played the tune better, and sang better too. The only problem was he cracked the 3rd Eb on the out chorus in Db.

-cw-