Greatest trumpet teachers out there/left

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Apr 9, 2012.

1. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Hello-
    I was wondering if anyone has any input as to who the greatest trumpet professors are that are out there at music schools and universities in the US, preferably on the east coast. College is nearing for me and I was looking for others ideas as to who is who in the world of professors today. The two teachers I have studied with studied for a while with John Coffee in Boston who seems to have been the real deal for many things. Who is like that. Who is great for classical studies? Who is great for jazz?

Thanks!

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I have had some lessons with Greg Koss. He played with Earth, Wind, and Fire as the lead player for a number of years. He runs a Jazz school in Tampa Florida. Great guy too. This would be for Jazz. ;-)

3. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    I study with Greg Wing at Morehead State in KY. Not on the east coast but he's a heck of a teacher and a great guy!

4. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    the greatest trumpet teacher out there is yourself ( being able to listen to ones self honestly and being self critical is a great asset )
    There are many great teachers out there...which will able to guide you on your journey but in the end its you who blows ones own trumpet.

The world is becoming less patient and we all want instant fixes......But alas Music is a life long learning journey