Greg Adams.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I thought I knew the band Tower of Power pretty well ..... I saw them in concert 4 or 5 times in the 70's, but I was into guitar and drums back then. I don't really remember the horn section that well, other than the buzz back then, which was that the guys from the East Bay were simply the best musicians around. They were highly regarded by everybody, including other musicians and bands. Now that I play trumpet, I'm revisiting the band (bought some CDs).

If I'm reading my liner notes correctly, the trumpeter Greg Adams is responsible for (most of or all of) the horn arrangements for the Tower of Power horn section. Is this true?

And also, does anyone know of other recordings, with other bands, that included the Tower of Power horn section? I know the horn section toured with other bands a lot, but did they also record with them???

Turtle

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. pbaransy

pbaransy New Friend

Jul 5, 2011
    I may be mistaken-but I think that horn section is now in "the mummies" or something like that. Check youtube.

3. ebjazz

ebjazz Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2005
    SF Bay Area
  4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    WOW. Yep, they were popular ..... Thanks for that, Eric!

Turtle

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Still wondering ..... Is Gred Adams the guy who wrote the horn arrangements for Tower of Power? The reason I ask is I think that the arrangements are exceptionally good. Most of the arrangements of R&B bands pale by comparison.

Turtle

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    TOP (in my opinion, this time humble) took the style of James Brown and tweaked it a bit, and with a tradition of lead players like Mic Gillette playing lead could play stuff above and beyond most of the popular bands could even approach. I got to see them play a four-hour dance set, and they were tight and accurate and some of them had eyes that looked like some of the stuff they put into their bodies weren't health foods.

Yeah, Greg Adams did most of the writing.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yeah, Mic Gillette is one of my new trumpet heroes.

Turtle

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011