Gretsch Commander Trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by deraf53, May 4, 2005.

1. deraf53

deraf53 New Friend

May 4, 2005
    I own a Gretsch Commander Trumpet that is 40/50 years old. I would like to get it appraised so I can sell it. Any info woiuld be helpful.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    appraisal

Anything that we have is worth only as much as someone is willing to pay for it. If it were mine, I would put it on ebay with a lot of pictures, no reserve, and be willing to take cashiers checks and money orders in payment. Put a starting price ultra low, as it's real worth will show up in the bidding. Too high a starting figure or too high a reserve price will stop the bidding cold.

3. Gilligan

Gilligan Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2004
    Colorado Springs, USA
    Hi

I've seen a Gretsch Commander Trumpet and had a chance to play it while in college. What i was able to learn back then was that they were eventually purchased by Amati. They are a tight bore horn in the traditional 1920's style. From what I recall about the horn I believe thay were made closer to World War 1 than to World War 2. I don't believe that they have any collectors value and they would be very limiting to a new student as their air flow is very tight. I would be suprised to see it go for more than about $40 dollars in the US. It might be worth more in a european auction I don't know.

I hope this helps.

Gilligan