Grime Gutter Problem.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I purchased my new Silver Bach it came with a Grime Gutter attached to bottom of my valve casing and when I removed it, I noticed black guck on the valves from the Grome Gutter. :thumbdown:

It looks like some of the silicon came off the grime gutter and stuck on the valve casing and bottom caps. I have been trying to remove it and it won't come off. :shhh:

I took it to a place and the tried to brush it off and could get it all off. I only use soap and warm water to clean my trumpet. Any suggestions on how I can get this guck off?

Thanks
    -Rob

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You could try rubbing alcohol on a q-tip, or valve oil.

3. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Brekelfuw! I will try it out.

-Rob

4. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    I had the same problem. Cleaned mine again today actually. Go to your local music store and ask for "flitz" brass polish. It does a dandy job and it'll get it right off with some elbow grease.

5. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Trumpet Monk! Is that the same as the cloth? Or do I need the brass polish? I ask because a store I called after your post just has the flitz cloth.

6. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went to a store "Baxter Northup Music" that was open and all they had was a "Blitz" cloth for $5.95. It got is all off. TrumpetMonk, you were right about the elbow grease and now my thumb is throbbing. :shhh:

While I was there I purchased, The Authentic Edition Arban's Complete Conservatory Method For Trumpet. $29.95. :thumbsup:

A friend told me about it last year and I finally got it.

Thanks again!
    -Rob

7. dr-pepp

dr-pepp Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2005
    Austin TX
    As far as I'm concerned, the Grime Gutter is one of the worst inventions ever devised. They create far more problems (damage to the silver plating) than they cure (grime coming out of the bottom caps? gimme a break, if there is grime or gunk coming out of the bottom caps, then the horn owner is a slob).

patkins likes this.
  8. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

They also give the horn a dull sound and response.

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    gimme a break, if there is grime or gunk coming out of the bottom caps, then the horn owner is a slob).[/QUOTE]

The reason for the holes in the bottom valve caps is to drain the naturally formed "gunk" from the valves. This is much more prevalant in the early years of a horns life, because of the 'fines' generated by the in use lapping in of the mating surfaces in the valve engine. Add to this the saliva and valve oil excess applied to the pistons and you have 'gunk'. The very finest of trumpeters have problems with this 'gunk' getting on their clothing and staining it. Condensation is another additive to the 'gunk'. All of the above occures in every trumpet if it gets played, not just to "slobs'.

OLDLOU>>

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I agree with dr-pepp, one useless contraption.