Grime Gutter Problem.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Mar 14, 2010.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I have been told that these awful contraptions, which alter response and tarnish the silver (when left on for extended periods - such as a couple of months in a case from the factory before the horn gets sold), were designed to protect the expensive marching band uniforms from oil residue on the bottom of valve caps. I've seen TV performances where the trumpeters seem to be holding the valve casing right against their chests.
    Anybody who has inadvertently stained a shirt or blouse with valve oil knows this can and does happen.
    RT

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    When I was young I thought they were cool because they made the players look professional. When I found out what they were, and what they were supposed to do I changed my mind. I have never noticed any gunk comming out of those holes on my horns and would be supprised to see it ever. I dont eat or drink while playing and dont over oil my valves. I dont over clean them either and have never had a problem. Its crazy to cover these drainholes and keep the gunk in, or at least against the bottom caps. Gimicky accessory as far as I am concerned. Best wishes.

3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow. It's pretty cool this thread still lives! BTW, I haven't used a grime gutter since I started this thread.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I can 2nd, 3rd, or 4th the comment, "I've never seen anything come out of the holes". I have had on some occasions, water come out the bell, press an Amado and drain the equivalent of a small drink onto the floor, but I have never seen anything come out the bottom caps of any of my 18+ horns.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I have had valve oil come out the bottom somehow. It was just after I oiled it though. It came out with a lot of oil. Dont know what brought that on...

6. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    That's right. A supposed solution to a non-problem creates more problems. If you have crap coming out the bottom cap, clean the valves once in a while.;-)

7. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I play a Bach Strad and love it, but would never use a grime gutter on it or any other horn. Completely unnecessary.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, you used A LOT of valve oil for that to happens. 6 drops will do ya (NAPBIRT standard ;-))!

Also on the Grime Gutter, it comes with a felt insert that needs "maintenance"! It's an accountants dream!! ROFL

9. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Actually, this is why I was so surprised. I only use 2 drops per valve, every time. I dont need anymore. I dont know if it may have been spit from my 3rd valve slide or what. The stuff came from the 3rd valve.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Saliva! Yuck! Hey, get a grime gutter! ROFL