Grip issue, now fixed !

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    My former left hand grip was index and middle finger around the casing of the third valve and ring finger in the slide ring, pinky next to the ring finger.
    I realized that in some difficult moments, I was squeezing the third casing:with my other trumpets I hadn't noticed any problem, but the Getzen valves of my new Lawler dislike that, and sometimes appears an issue at the upstroke, especially on the third valve of course.
    I have now changed my grip: pinky under the third slide, middle finger in the ring. No finger doesn't squeeze the casings anymore. At the same time, I improved the position of the fingers of my right hand, to be sure to push the pistons vertically: issue fixed!
    Maybe some of you have had similar experiences?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One aspect of the grip I like to test is how the instrument angle is changed (or not) when tightening the fingers of the left hand and ease of throw for the 1st and 3rd slides.

3. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    I actually switched in the opposite direction, ring finger always/still in the 3rd slide throw ring, but now now holding my pinky up by the throw ring. After 30+ years of pinky under the slide, I watched a video by Chris Botti mentioning that he changed the pinky from under the slide to above it and next to the throw ring after watching Wynton holding it this way. Chris also mentioned that it helped his range ... nice bonus, huh?! I decided to try it that way and find it very comfortable. Sadly, no increase in range, but it seems to help me stay loose as I can't hold on as tightly ... and that has to be good. Funny how different horns, slides and seasons cause and allow change. Bottom line, if it works for you, then I think it is a good thing! Enjoy that new Lawler axe!

4. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Having my ring finger in the ring (interesting concept) and my pinkie next to it enables me to kick the third slide out as necessary when necessary. I hold the horn firmly enough to counteract my slamming the valves down, but it's not a death grip that would affect the motion of the valve itself. I do prefer triggers, as I find that activating them reduces the amount of motion necessary to get the job done and seems less disruptive. I don't know how one would be able to comfortably extend the slide using a ring when one's pinkie is under the slide, preventing the hand from expanding as the slide is moved. Seems awkward.

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I have large hands, and the Lawler C7 is a trumpet rather narrow. With the Xeno my grip is different…

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Thank you, I have to watch it. Mainly, my grip change obliges me to reduce the pressure in the high range and my Prana mpc rejoices...

7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I'm using the ringfinger in the ring, but change to middlefinger when my lips get tired, to change the angle (more downwords) to make it easier for my lip :-)

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I didn't actually think Botti used a ring on the third valve, nor does he even have one on his Martin? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that was one of the things I noticed when I saw him in concert, no third valve slide ring.

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Thanks for the input, Jon Petter. I keep on experimenting… :shock: :roll: ;-)

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    As for C.B. I don't know, but on several pictures the Committee of M.D. has the ring under the third valve slide, and Miles seems to ignore it completely !