Grip?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Josh, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    What trumpet grip do you recommend, or does it make any difference whatsoever?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    It makes NO difference....hold the horn in the way that is most comfortable to you.

The large hole in the trumpet faces away from you.

3. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    I knew I was doing something wrong...:D

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Josh,
    I recommend that you practice 4 hours a day for the next 6 weeks. If at the end your grip is still comfortable, then you got it. If not, post again when during that 4 hours that you noticed pain.

5. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    After playing for several months you get used to one way of holding. The grip doesn't really help you hold.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Josh,

Band directors tend to start all trumpet players in a "standard" holding position -often so they don't drop the horn. As players get more comfortable with the horn, each individual tends to find slight modifications that fit their own hand a little better. For instance, I often play with my left 1st finger going up over the bell tube. Maynard often held the trumpet by the valve base, instread of wrapping his fingers around the middle area. Do what the others above have suggested -go with what is more comfortable for you.
    Steve

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Actually the grip affects the angle of the bell, as you place your fingers below the third valve slide the bell will have a tendency to rise , start with the traditional grip and see what feels the most comfortable for your hands and embouchure.

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    The grip can add tension in the hand and arm that can infect the breathing and overall tension level. Whatever grip eliminates that tension will vary from person to person, but I think it's important hold the horn effiecently. For me, I put my ring finger in the ring and pinky above the slide. I can use my slides and my hand and arm don't get tense. Tension in the right hand can do the same thing.

It doesn't have to look textbook perfect to be relaxed and efficient, but getting rid of that tension is a plus in my book.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A good grip will--allow access to at least the third valve slide; not change the angle of the instrument if you grip it tighter, and be comfortable.

Good luck finding the perfect grip!

10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    For marching, i typically put my pinky under the third valve slide, and grip the valve casings. It tends to keep my horn angle up, and IMO keeps the horn very stable, while allowing me to still shoot out the third valve slide. But its all a matter of personal preference. While indoors I tend to just naturally do whatever feels comfortable, but I tend to stick with putting my pinky underneath the third valve slide. But yet again, thats comfortable for me, and allows my small hands to keep the horn very stable......