Gripping the mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Jul 22, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Im curious of how many of you are using the "gripping the mouthpiece" with your embouchure whay of thinking?
    And thoes of you who use it, do you use it in all registers (for example just playing a hymn all the way in the low register) or only when going up for the higher parts?

Robert:play:

2. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Hi Robert,

Try Nick Drozdoff's website and check out some of his videos on Youtube. He talks a little bit about "gripping" the mouthpiece.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My trumpet teacher here in Germany played dry and also with the grip. He had an incredibly good high register and a big sound, just not always "pretty". He is 88 now and has wound down to the point that not much works well anymore.

I like a slippery mouthpiece and don't play with "grip".

4. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I confess to watching that clip and not being able to visualize how one can grip the mouthpiece with the lips (or skin around the lips), and yet produce a buzz. Could be my whole visualization of this is just plain wrong, but I can't get my lips - er mind around it.

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I suppose i grip the mouthpiece. I have never really thought of it like this before. I have to play on a bone dry mouthpiece. I cannot abide slippy conditions.
    A rather big disadvantage to this is when you have to play in humid conditions. As soon as my lips become wet i start to have big problems!:thumbdown:

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Gripping the mouth piece is a metaphore. Patrick Hessions covered this after a lecture at an ITG conference. It is a way of describing his high note embouchure.

Gripping the mouth piece is the same as what NickD calls his high gear set.

Patrick said that Maynard would say he felt like he could hold up the horn with his lips when he had a really good night of playing. Hence, gripping the mouth piece.

7. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    The reason why I wanted to hear some coments and ways of thinking like this is becouse like "stchasking" wrote I feel it is just a metafor.(at least for me)
    So many different ways of playing so i´m a bit scared to discuss someting like this so I can only say how it works for ME.
    I play with very wet lips so an actual GRIP on the mouthpiece is not happening for me; BUT before the mouthpiece touches my lips I "think" of gripping it (streching the lips to a small smile..but they do NOT STAY in a smile position once the MP is on the lips...the smiling before putting the MP to my lips is just the way of my "gripping the MP)

Now what really hapens for me with that thinking I have notised is that the UPPER lip is curling slightly more in...and thats why it helps me.
    Again: this is something that works for me and I do not say it is the way to go for everyone.
    It really helps my range AND enduranse...I use it all the way from Low C (c1 In europe) to Double C ( c4) and higher.

I wanted to discuss this becouse no teacher of mine has evr spoken of something like this and also I have not read about it. I just sort of "developt" it when trying out lots of diferent things on my own with my embouchure.

sorry for my bad English and if you thing my idea of streching sounds dangerous or wrong fel fre to say so but pls remember it works wery well for me.

All the best

Robert

8. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    For what it's worth, Leon Merian would advocate "sneering" ( as if you smelled something really bad), placing the mouthpiece, then relaxing the sneer and even coming down with the upper lip. This would result in a "grip" of the top lip on the mouthpiece. He was one of the greats with a sound and range we can only dream about

9. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I don't really know enough to say anything else except that a really good player I know rubbed off the silver coating on one of his mouthpieces to get better "grip."