Growl!! (how do you do it?)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, Apr 27, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree, I open up my lips more, get my tonuge out of the way, and free up more space to excessively vibrate my lips (with more airflow through them).

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I guess the lesson to be learned here is, "whatever works."

I've never been able to generate a decent growl by engaging my vocal chords in any way. This isn't to say that other players can't growl by humming or some other form of vocalization, but it's never worked for me.

I use two different techniques, depending on whether I'm growling open or with a plunger. To growl through an open horn I raise the back of my tongue to the back of the soft palette and, to use rude imagery, use a mild form of the "hocking a loogie" action to growl. For me, this gives the most authentic-sounding growl, at least through an open horn.

Put a plunger in my left hand and all bets are off. Flutter tonguing sounds great behind a plunger, and I add my other growling technique to add even more "dirt" to the sound.

bumblebee likes this.
  3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I was having problems with this technique - and when we came to The Stripper, the greatest help I got was from the 73yo pianist visiting our group, he just said "... play it dirty" - now I'm not sure what I do, I certainly lightly vocalise, but I also cause the instrument to "blat" almost accentuating the raspberry from the bell but I keep the volume down and I lose a little bit of the musicality. Any help?

bumblebee likes this.
  4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't got a plunger (I use my hand) but perhaps it's time I did.

--bumblebee

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    When you get a plunger, consider drilling a 5/8" diameter hole through the middle and into the handle receptacle - it seems to take the harshness out of the sound - and you can easily block the hole with your finger if necessary for intonation.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't get to growl or flutter too much in church settings. I like the Arrrrgh pirate description. Like all things trumpety, it takes practice (ARRRGH!)! I did some flutter tongueing one time in church and was promptly told it was too "racy". So I did it more anyway!:lol:

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Perhaps you should have indicated that we all have gifts from our God, and that yours is just a bit different - pirate sounds through a trumpet? :dontknow:;-)

Angels sing - tobylou flutter tongues.;-)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  8. ruling

ruling New Friend

Apr 24, 2011
    The Monadnocks, NH
    tobylou8 wrote, " ... I did some flutter tongueing one time in church and was promptly told it was too "racy". So I did it more anyway!:lol:

Are you Catholic? (I'm a recovering Catholic myself) They're really good at stifling racy stuff.

The huge cathedrals are incredible for trumpet solos.

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA

These and the other comments should point out two key things:
    (1) The end result is a certain sound or effect that the audience perceives.
    (2) There are different ways to create effects but not every method will create the desired effect with every player.

Even the great "growlers" of the past (including Harry James and Clyde McCoy) did not all make the growling sound exactly the same - so there is some latitude but still in the end it should be close to the desired effect.

As far as method goes, any growling effect involves vibrations that are added on top of the normal lip vibrations that create the tone. These vibrations can be created in (at least) 4 ways:
    (1) Vocal cord vibrations ("humming")
    (2) Uvula or soft palate vibrations (pirate "arrrrgh" or tiger growl - try simulating gargling)
    (3) Tongue vibrations ("flutter tonguing")
    (4) Lip vibrations (like a baby spitting out oatmeal) with a high volume of air.

The easiest way to identify the difference is to make each of the forms of vibration without a mouthpiece in place. If you concentrate, you will be able to sense where the vibrations are coming from.

Now, the next step is to figure out which one give YOU the closest sound to the "growl" that is normally associated with trumpet special effects. Your approach may be different from anyone else's - it just needs to sound good.
    (

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Oh, they KNOW I'm different :lol:! Mostly I behave, but a good shakin' never hurt anybody.;-)