growling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jpkaminga, May 12, 2005.

1. jpkaminga

jpkaminga Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2004
    Boston
    I don't know how to describe the sound but as a growl, I've only heard it where it also sounds like a mute is being used, possibly a harmon. I dunno what it is but I can't imagine it is just a mute making this effect. What is the technique, it sounds like it is a cheap trick, or at least I never hear any jazz trumpeters making this sound, it's always in an old pop song or a movie.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    JP,

I wish I could play for you my old, old record of Al Hirt playing "Let's Do It". It's growling with a plunger as well and it's a stitch because I swear he makes that horn talk. Dirty talk, at that.

ML

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    JP,

Yes, its growling and that's the way its marked on the music, i.e. in Sing, Sing, Sing. I learned to do it with the back of my throat. Imagine clearing your throat into your horn. Experimentation / practice its no more than that.

Greg

4. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Wynton is excellent at "growling" Listen to Mr. Jelly Lord cd and you will see what I mean. I am sure he does it on other albums but that is the one that comes to mind. He makes it sound so easy and natural.....I have always heard the term flutter tounge used is that the same approach to growling??? :dontknow:

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Flutter tongue is not the same. Or, I should say that I don't think anyone can get the same growl sound just using their tongue. Flutter tongue is similar to rolling the letter R.

6. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Thanks gzent :-)

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Your welcome.
    Its always good to share experience on the TM. :-)

8. jpkaminga

jpkaminga Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2004
    Boston
    thanks for the info guys, I just tried and it's definitely no cinch to coordinate it with the rest of playing but I'm glad I've got an idea about how to do it now

I knew it wasn't rolling r's, I can do that, now I know what the term for that is, I was in a choir my whole early youth and occasionally we had to pronounce things with rolled r's and I know a little Italian too so I'm good at rolling the r's, but it is really hard to keep the embouchure intact when you've got a tongue fluttering around