Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by terpprm, Jun 14, 2008.

1. terpprm

terpprm New Friend

Jun 14, 2008
    i just got my trumpet on Wednesday and i can't seem to get a tone, and when i do, it doesn't last long. i am a present pianist, organist, violinist and a former clarinetist, and from what i can tell, the tone that i am getting is an above middle c "a" and yes that is the proper note on the trumpet. i know about the difference in the instruments as i compose the music for our church orchestra. anyway, i was wondering if anyone has any advice for me? i just wanted to add that i want to kick its brass :-)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello Terppm. If you can find a good trumpet player in your area, that is also looking to learn, one of the instuments you already know how to play. You both, could exchange each other free musicial lessons. If not, you will need to find you a Trumpet teacher. Trying to figure it out by yourself can cause damage to your embouchure,not counting all the wrong postures and bad playing habits that will be learned, and then have to be unlearned. you have already learned from your previous instruments. None are easy and require lots of practice. We all begin at the same start line. Your previous musicial skills will probably help you advance faster. But it still is not easy,because Trumpet playing is very Physical. Go to the STORK mouthpiece site and study the lips sizes chart for correct mouthpiece sizing. The correct size Bach mouthpiece would be a good start till your Teacher advices something else.Good Luck.

3. terpprm

terpprm New Friend

Jun 14, 2008
    thanks...i will look now......i appreciate. my girlfriend actually plays the trumpet and has for years. i will be getting with her soon, but right now she started a new schedule and the training schedule conflicts with mine, so i have to wait patiently? hmmmmm....i'll try. lol

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    If it is any consolation, many trumpet players have a similar experience occasionally, when the body just doesn't cooperate for playing the trumpet.

1. Are you sure that you are forming your embouchure correctly?
    (embouchure = lip formation against the mouthpiece)

2. Are you allowing lots of rest? If you are just now learning to play trumpet, you are exercising lip muscles in a way that they have never been exercised before, like a baby trying to stand up and walk for the first time with leg muscles that have never done that before. So 1-2 minutes at a time, total of 5 minutes a day, is probably all that your lips can do before collapsing from fatigue when you are first learning to play. When your lips get tired, rest for a few hours, or even better rest until tomorrow, so that your lip muscles have many weeks and months to gradually develop and strengthen.

3. What mouthpiece are you using? If you are using an extremely shallow cup, your lips might be bottoming out (lips touching the inside of the cup although they are not supposed to).

- Morris

5. terpprm

terpprm New Friend

Jun 14, 2008
    i am using a 7c mouthpiece. i rest quite a bit as i live in a trailor and my practice times are limited due to being so close to my neighbors and having shallow walls.

6. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Ditto Terpprm. You have half the battle already won. I started 5 kids this past year.Only one is still trying to learn and practice. Sadly most kids today would rather be entertained and play all sorts of worthless video games. Than put in the practice time needed to advance. My oldest Daughter is a very good singer and clarinet player. My oldest grandson is a good bass singer and was doing really good on the Baritone and smaller Tuba. Got caught up in these new video games and quit. I really hated that.My Daughter has stopped the excessive video playing, but he did not get back into band. Our second year school band only has two trumpet players,and no tuba player and one trombone. Hope to help see all this change. Good luck and remember what you tell all your students. Now Darlings you got to practice.HaHa Something you will be hearing from your Girlfriend real soon.haHa Take care

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Getting some coaching/teaching from someone other than your gf, while it might cost you more in $$, might cost you less in terms of relationship stress. It isn't often that a partner can take on a teaching role without it impacting the other dynamics between two folks with a romantic interest.

See if you can borrow a 3c (or PM me and I'll send you one of mine). And stick your bell in the closet and play between the clothes hanging there. Whatever mouthpiece you use, spend some time buzzing on it w/o the horn. It's quieter, and if you try for the best tone you can get and do slurs from C -G and back and then up a half step and repeat until you are slurring from G - D. These 5ths are not too strenuous and very good exercise. When it gets sounding solid, add the horn, and do the 5ths up and down for each of the 7 valve combos. Continue to slur them as well as you can.

8. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    A Bach 7C or Holton 7C or Conn 7C?
    Whichever, they are all very similar and are adequate beginner's mouthpieces, so you are not bottoming out (unless you are playing extremely high or extremely low on the mouthpiece).

What trumpet are you using? Just curious, although it shouldn't be the cause of your inability to buzz notes at times.

What embouchure type are you?
    Go to
    An Introduction to Donald S. Reinhardt's Pivot System
    then scroll down to the middle of the very long Web page to the section entitled "Reinhardt's Embouchure Types".
    The text and photos should enable you to determine whether you are born as some version of the downstream Type III (Type 3) or some version of the upstream Type IV (Type 4).
    Simply knowing which embouchure type you are tells you which mouthpiece placement is proper and which trumpet angle is proper, which is much of the beginning battle right there.

Anyway, you will need to give it time.
    People spend weeks, months, years, decades, building up those embouchure muscles, while yours have only been exercised for a few days.
    So don't over-do it.
    When your lip muscles get tired, stop playing for several hours, or even stop playing until the next day.
    If you try to continue playing after your lips are tired, there is a 99 percent chance that you will distort your embouchure into an unnatural position and use incorrect mouthpiece pressure and start developing all sorts of bad habits that will be extremely difficult to eliminate later on.

When first starting out in learning trumpet,
    don't play too loudly or too softly,
    don't use too much mouthpiece pressure or too little mouthpiece pressure,
    stop playing when your lips get tired and the tone gets lousy,
    take it nice and slow.
    Because learning trumpet is like painting:
    Anybody can slap together a piece of crap in a few minutes,
    but creating a work of art takes a long, long time.

- Morris

9. terpprm

terpprm New Friend

Jun 14, 2008
    i am not sure what kind of 7c, and the trumpet is a cecilio. i guess i would have to say i am a IIIB

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Don't make yourself nuts. Find a teacher; make a beginning.