Grunting while Playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Xelex, May 31, 2010.

1. Xelex

Xelex New Friend

Nov 19, 2008
    Ever since I passed out playing trumpet, I've developed a habit of closing my throat whenever I ascend.
    I'd like to place the blame on my tongue rising backwards, which cuts off my air.
    But even when I set my embouchure and blow through my horn, I can feel the bottom of my throat rise.
    I'm assuming it's the Valsalva maneuver, but I have no idea how to make it stop.
    I've tried practicing exhaling and inhaling - I'm able to do it just fine with an open throat.
    However, when I place my trumpet on my lips, I do it while tonguing no matter what register I'm in, and when I ascend, say anywhere past G on top of the staff, I feel my throat closing, which makes any note around High E or F sound thin.

I really need a teacher, but the only one I have access to isn't very helpful with fundamentals, and I'm not exactly financially able to at the moment with college applications going out.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    I have had the same problem with grunting, I do it less and less now, I started to really concentrate as I was ascending very slowly in a comfortable range and when I start to feel the grunt I would stop. I do it again and concentrate on relaxing, In essence I started to reprogram my brain from my bad habit.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I've been there. When you grunt, much more is messed up than the grunt itself.

Grunting is a symptom when you do not have your breathing under control. Do a search on "circle of breath" and you will have the recipe for my solution.