Guess what happened..........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Dec 15, 2007.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk's comment about the valves and cassing being "bone dry" has led me to believe that I might be a bit impatient after cleaning the horn or the casings a leave a bit of dampness when oiling. I'm going to try something new. I'm going to invest in the smallest hair dryer and blow that air into the areas of concern before oiling the valves. If it works really good I'll buy one that's battery operated to bring to gigs and rehearsals for those times when a bit of oil is needed. I'll just have to be careful not to blow it in the direction of the female clairinet section, it would disturb their pompadores........crow

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    you could warm your mouthpiece up before inserting it in the trumpet/cornet too.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In Florida?

4. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    I have found lacquer thinner to be the best valve cleaner. It is often used to degrease metal before painting.

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Check the bottom of the valve, often strung out flute players will climb in looking for valve oil to drink & get crushed. Use a Q-tip to clean out the remains, you should be good to go.................:cool: