Guess what I got to do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yup it’s true!

I had a lesson with Alex yesterday and man oh man I’ll just never be the same. I don’t even know where to begin. I got to her place yesterday and she had laid out all of her beauties for me to try! Talk about being a kid in a candy store! I could not believe my eyes. There before me lye treasure this pirate wanna-be would kill for!

Her new Cornet immediately commanded my attention. What a beauty of an instrument. Leigh and the gang at Eclipse really have a fine product in this horn. I picked it up and started to play a couple of things on it. I was amazed with the ease of blow and buttery smooth feel of this horn; darn near right off the bench! Don’t get me wrong I love my Getzen; but it just doesn’t hold a candle to the Eclipse. I can’t wait to play it again many months from now. I’ve noticed that as they ‘break in’ they only get better. I can’t imagine how much better the horn will be. I was pleasantly surprised to pick up my student notebook off of Alex’s desk and see the entry “Sweet Cornet Playing!†written in it. This Cornet is really a treat to play!

I then picked up Alex’s Eclipse C and started to play it. I had played it not long after she got it the first time and loved it then but now; holy cow! It just has a wonderfully free blow and shimmer that I can’t replicate on any other horn I play on! I was astounded and mesmerized by how much better I sound on those wonderful horns of hers then I do on my own. I have composed a descant for Beethoven’s 9th (Ode to Joy) that I plan to use at the grand opening mass of our new Catholic Church down here in Georgia before I leave. I thought that it sounded pretty good on my Bach but I must say that Alex’s Eclipse gives it wings!

I then played on her Bb MR and Solar Bell. Both are exquisite horns and my observations were very much the same. They are broke in and again I sounded incredible on them. I think that I like the MR over the Solar Bell as it has a sound that is more me. I like the mushy fluff; the lyrical sweeping types of music. I believe that the MR and I really clicked for that. Now don’t get me wrong the Solar Bell is just as fine a horn; but I think that I’d favor it more if I played Latin, Salsa, or Big Band types of music.

The moment of truth then came for me. As of late I’ve become mystified with the Piccolo Trumpet. I don’t know why; I’ve never played one in my life until yesterday. So I picked up Alex’s Piccolo and started to play on it. I was surprised when I was able to play a bit on it. I then started to struggle a bit with it; Alex said to me,†Five minutes and I’ll have you playing that!†I’ll be damned if she didn’t. We put some wedding music up on the stand that I had purchased which was notated for Picc in A and away we went. I was playing Clarke’s Trumpet Voluntary on Piccolo. Now don’t get me wrong it could use some work but it was not half bad! I was shocked! With some suggestions on how to blow and a more “dah†as opposed to a “tah†type of sound and I was playing Picc for the first time in my life; and playing it fairly well! It took some getting used to playing a note and having it sound one octave higher then it appeared. It was an absolute blast!

Alex also had out her D/Eb and a beautiful German Rotary either of which I did not play. I was just on over load! My senses were shorted out! We then got to doing some of the things I love to do best. Bach Chorales! I really enjoy the overtones that Alex and I can produce while playing these simple pieces. The beauty of the sound intertwined and distributed through her home is just breathtaking! It really is a sound to behold! Whenever I get to feeling that I’m a sub-par player I recall fondly those exercises with her and know that I would not be able to produce resultant tones with her if I were not a good player!

Now while I was fooling around and playing most everything in sight; so was Alex! She never ceases to amaze me with her style and sound. It doesn’t matter what instrument she has in her hand; it’s a lethal weapon! She played on the Rotary; and had just a tremendous sound. It was dark, clear, and room filling. What a treat to be able to hear such fine playing! Then she lit it up with the Solar Bell. She played Mendez’s La Virgin de la Macarena and I swear fire was flying from the bell! Her sound on the Eclipse C is the sweetest sound I’ve ever heard. She plays with such a shimmer and depth of sound. I could just pull up a chair and listen all day long!

Then there was the Piccolo playing. Wow; I was just blown away. She picked it up and started getting after it and I’ve not witnessed anything quite like that ever! I don’t even know how to describe it other then to say that she played with absolute brilliance and command! Her playing is second to none and in that moment I suddenly realized just how fortunate I have been to study with such an accomplished player and gifted teacher! Alex carries herself with dignity and grace and it shows in her playing. All I can say is this. Leigh; Get an Eclipse Piccolo in this woman’s hands pronto! If your Piccolo plays anything like your other fine instruments; anyone who hears her play an Eclipse Piccolo will be subject to an experience just shy of biblical majesty and beauty.

I have to say that I will sorely miss the opportunities to study with Alex as I place some miles between us. Had it not been for her I’d surely not be the Trumpet player I am today. She has a mastery of the instrument and the techniques with which to play it that I only wish I had. Some how or another she’s managed to pour some of that into me and the result has been nothing short of amazing. She is a top shelf teacher and player; and I’m most grateful that I also get to call her friend!

From the bottom of my heart Alex; thank you for showing me the way. Know that I will be pouring over your notes in my student notebook and executing each one of them to the best of my abilities. I can’t wait until we see each other again. Thank you for teaching me how to become a better player and more importantly how to be a better musician. I also want to thank you for helping me to realize that mourning the past is a waste of energy. I now believe that I’m a much better player then I ever was. I haven’t quite caught up technically yet, but musically I’m 10 times the player of my youth.

Leigh and Eclipse; I don’t know if I should thank you or curse you. If I could afford your fine products I’d hold funerals for mine and bury them! When I play my C and then play Alex’s Eclipse C; I don’t even sound the same! There’s no comparison; the sound that I get from her Eclipse C is just superb! I spent most of the evening yesterday trying to re-create it on my Bach C but just couldn’t do it.

What can I say? I’ve been Eclipsed beyond belief!

2. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I don't know...that's as far as I got on this post......ROFL

Sorry...clear mind...continue reading...

It is a great review and sounds like you had a terrific time. It also helps verify what a nice player Alex must be. Thanks for sharing the story...and best of luck on your move.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  3. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Nice John! It’s really great to get to sit beside wonderful players. I hope you will seek out a teacher when you move back to Detroit. I had a lesson with Ramon Parcells years ago, and it was fantastic. My friend Mark Flegg lives in Michigan and would be a great choice if you are in the same part of the state.

Thanks again for sharing your “candy store†experience.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    John- Thanks for sharing that. I know exactly what you're saying. Playing with Alex is a real treat; she is truly a fine and talented musician and warm soul. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a few lessons with her. And those horns...man. I agree completely. Very few horns have made such an impression on me. I've not had the good fortune to try a cornet, but I certainly will the second the chance presents itself.

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    John, thank you. :oops: I am happy to have helped you in any way possible. You have grown by leaps and bounds in 1.5 years, and I am very proud of you. Keep doing what you're doing and the music is your oyster.....no stopping you. I am glad you enjoyed the horn feast yesterday. It was fun!

Yes, I will miss you my friend, but I am happy you will be close to your children and your family again. I will get up that way. I have been wanting some lessons from Ramon Parcells for a long time as he is another one of my favorite orchestral players. If all goes as planned for the fall, I might be closer than you think ;-).

Of course, we will always have this place, telephones and email. I know, it isn't quite the same as getting together, but thank goodness technology will allow us to stay closer in touch. If you ever need anything, you know where to find me. :grouphug:

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I just couldn't let your post go by without a complimentary chuckle. ;-)

7. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Thanks, Alex...you are a good sport. I certainly meant no offense to either you or John...only found that statement amusing when out of context! ha.

Okay...back to the nice posts!...

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Great review, John...I am starting to get jealous :twisted: Was this the famous before release Eclipse Piccolo or this customised whatever...I think that it was a Stomvi...
    Alex, is Leigh thinking of Expanding his european marketing efforts a bit more on the south-east direction? You can imagine what I think of...What was the rotary horn? I don't know of any rotaries made by Leigh...or am I wrong?

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    No, Leigh does not make a rotary. I have an older Monke Bb given to me by my teacher in Belgium.

Addressing the piccolo. Yesterday I was playing my 14 year old Yamaha Custom long bell. The Eclipse prototypes are in Luton because Leigh needs them for tooling and such. I do look forward to finally having one because they are such a joy to play, but you cannot rush quality. All in due time. (yes, I am chomping at the bit anyway!)

The Eclipse trumpets are making their way around the EU, so no worries Nick. I am sure your region will be in the fray before too long. ;-) Leigh doesn't need to market these horns. They speak for themselves. As more players get them in their hands, more world wide coverage will commence. That is how it has been happening thus far and I see no reason why it will not continue.

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for straightening that out Alex!

And thanks for your kind words. I know that I'd not have come so far so fast without your guidance.

Derek thanks for the suggestion; I'll keep him in mind.

Ahh the trip to the candy store was indeed refreshing!